Rate Your Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 07/26/2010 15:21
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
Something that's annoying me about Rate Your music right now is that my ratings don't seem to have an effect. I'm reading over and over about the weighted system, ratings dropping because I gave high ratings etc before going to forum. I may of missed something.

Here is a good example:
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single..._the_boys/

Maybe part of the site is that I can't see the effect I have on the ratings Confused

Other than that the site is fantastic. Motorcycle Emptiness in the top 300 singles of all! Very Happy

Don't pay too much heed to the ratings Smile I clicked on your link and looked at the names of the 4 raters. A fellow named "almofada" is listed twice. I clicked on one of his names, then his ratings and looked at 5.0 ratings. He had managed to rate Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks five times by changing the media format of the album. He probably did that with lots of albums. He has 10,000 ratings. How many others are doing the same thing on RYM? That's a big data integrity problem unless the administrators have built consideration into their formula!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 07/26/2010 15:33
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I'm finding this discussion really interesting. Both sites are approaching things from different angles.

RYM is attempting to catalogue (and rate) every single release in history and BEA is attempting to just surface and bring attention to the ones that are worth a look (we are not interested in filler).

Both sites use different mechanisms to rank their albums, RYM uses a ratings algorithm and here we use charts.

We are going to add genre data into the site (a lot of the background work has already been done), so hopefully we can make the browsing experience even more rewarding once this is live.

I consider BEA to be a community for interaction and discourse. RYM is a huge library of music reviews by listeners.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/26/2010 15:44
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
Something that's annoying me about Rate Your music right now is that my ratings don't seem to have an effect. I'm reading over and over about the weighted system, ratings dropping because I gave high ratings etc before going to forum. I may of missed something.

Here is a good example:
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single..._the_boys/

Maybe part of the site is that I can't see the effect I have on the ratings Confused

Other than that the site is fantastic. Motorcycle Emptiness in the top 300 singles of all! Very Happy

Don't pay too much heed to the ratings Smile I clicked on your link and looked at the names of the 4 raters. A fellow named "almofada" is listed twice. I clicked on one of his names, then his ratings and looked at 5.0 ratings. He had managed to rate Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks five times by changing the media format of the album. He probably did that with lots of albums. He has 10,000 ratings. How many others are doing the same thing on RYM? That's a big data integrity problem unless the administrators have built consideration into their formula!

I hadn't noticed that before. I could see how that could mess with the ratings on the site and skew the overall ratings for them. On the other hand, even with him ratings twice, I believe I should of had a little effect on the rating. As all 3 ratings are rooted at 3.0, my 5.0 should have had a visible effect. Although I enjoy the site a lot, It feels a little disheartening knowing I may not have any effect on the ratings.
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 07/26/2010 16:17
  • Post subject:
the problem with RYM is their charts ! sometimes completely irrational. but what i like a lot in RYM is the map of the artists it would be super-great if this was available in BEA.

i think that RYM and BEA are complementary, plus Metacritic for new music
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 07/27/2010 10:02
  • Post subject:
http://rateyourmusic.com/~harkan
  • Visit poster's website
Ironic Karma

United States

• Posted: 07/28/2010 21:46
  • Post subject:
I like that site a lot now! I like how you can add comments to the albums in your charts. Interesting concepts all over the place. I joined as Ironickarma, here's my page:

http://rateyourmusic.com/~IronicKarma
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email