69%  [9]
Good Morning, Good Night
30%
 30%  [4]
Total Votes : 13

Saoirse

• Posted: 06/18/2013 18:32
  • Post subject: CLOSED-BNMAT- Scissor Sisters def Good Morning Good Night
SCISSOR SISTERS by Scissor Sisters (captain: JoyofDivision)

Scissor Sisters by Scissor Sisters

Year Released: 2004

VS

GOOD MORNING GOOD NIGHT by Sachiko M/Otomo Yoshihide/Toshimaru Nakamura (captain: ThePoe)

Good Morning Good Night by Sachiko M / ...u Nakamura

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/5705258900_b0b4f73552.jpg[img]

Year Released: 2004[/img]

Last edited by Saoirse on 06/22/2013 06:32; edited 1 time in total
joyofdivision

• Posted: 06/18/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Scissor Sisters produced one of the best pop albums of the millennium, taking their influences from New York disco, Elton John, and David Bowie amongst others. Their version of Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb' takes the original's brooding melancholy and replaces it with a high-energy disco/rave backing to startling effect.

Here are a few clips from the album, check it out Smile

Link

Link

Link

Link
yourself

• Posted: 06/18/2013 21:48
  • Post subject:
Good Morning Good Night is 4 long songs of nothing but high pitched buzzing, crackling, and electronic squelchy noises. Its as sparse and minimalist as music can get. Its part of an experimental genre called onkyo. I'm sure many people would call it unmusical. Many people would probably interpret it as being a full of pretentious, full of itself, high minded experiment that sacrifices enjoyability or some flimsy ideas of "art" and "innovation".

In many ways thats all true, but if your going to listen to some super avant-garde sound art thingy, this is about the best you can do. I can't say that good morning good night is something I listen to often, or that it is likely to ever be an all time favourite, but in the right mood its truly an enjoyable listen. As absurd as this may sound, the album really does have its own fascinating, memorable atmosphere; a sort of sterile haziness or something. I'm often surprised by how quickly the songs seem to pass by given that nothing really happens in them.

• Posted: 06/18/2013 22:55
  • Post subject:
Here are some interviews:

Otomo Yoshihide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxeSgVXrTH4

Sachiko M and Toshimaru Nakamura - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8IMc-8-N8

Last edited by Guest on 06/19/2013 00:00; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 06/18/2013 23:20
  • Post subject:
There are more accessible versions of Onkyo music for those new to the genre and are curious enough to find a better gateway than "Good Morning Good Night". Try the 11 minute EP called "Saritote" by Taku Sugimoto and Moe Kamura. I also recommend "Saritote II" which is also nearly 11 minutes.

I found a youtube playlist on "Saritote II": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH07LPd0...A6D1A07F20

I know these aren't exactly melodies that one would hum to themself later in the day. I'd say it's more about the mood, the feeling. That's all I can think at the moment to attempt to pass on this kind of music. IMO it's at least one of the more interesting scenes in modern Japanese music. The uniqueness of it gives me a refreshed feeling away from the sounds of anything else. I think it holds a certain place.

Last edited by Guest on 06/18/2013 23:59; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 06/18/2013 23:59
  • Post subject:

Otomo Yoshihide (left) is an accomplished musician in different fields, including Turntable Music, EAI, Jazz, Rock, and Onkyo. Otomo has a number of solo albums (most being of EAI and Turntable music), and has been a part of many bands, most notably Ground Zero (my second or third favorite Japanese band). Ground Zero's music was a combination of Rock, Jazz, Turntable Music, and Musique Concrete. Otomo has also formed a few different Jazz groups including an ensemble, a quintet, and an orchestra.

Sachiko M (right) was also a member of Ground Zero, and has collaborated with Otomo for a number of bands including Filament, I.S.O., Otomo's Jazz Ensemble, Otomo's Jazz Orchestra, and Les Sculpteurs to Vinyl. Sachiko M's solo albums are strictly Onkyo/sine wave music. Sachiko M has been a part of other bands including Cosmos (Onkyo music) and Hoahio (Pop music), both bands can be found on my all-female bands chart. Cosmos and Ground Zero are on my overall chart.

I do not know much of Toshimaru Nakamura. Likely a highly regarded musician in the Onkyo music scene. Toshimaru has a decent amount of solo albums, has been a part of a handful of different bands (including Otomo's Jazz Orchestra), and a ton of collaborative works (some on my Japanese chart).
Saoirse

• Posted: 06/22/2013 06:27
  • Post subject:
SCISSOR SISTERS SLICE THE GOOD MORNING/GOOD NIGHT ON THEIR WAY TO THE SECOND ROUND