20%
 20%  [6]
Total Votes : 30

TrekkiELO

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2013 22:00
  • Post subject:
Both are great, so I am a Trekkie Jedi!

The worst Star Wars film is easily The Phantom Menace, Lucas totally demystified "The Force" with stupid midichlorians, there's a reason why they weren't mentioned in any other movie!

The "VI amazing" Star Trek films are...
The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier and The Motion Picture!

The "3 decent ones" are...
Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness and Generations!

The "3 terrible ones" are:
First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis!

Last edited by TrekkiELO on 06/23/2013 22:12; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 06/23/2013 22:10
  • Post subject:
Confession time: I've only seen two Star Trek films, since I'm not big into ST. Insurrection: decent, and First Contact: much better!
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2013 12:37
  • Post subject:
Personally, when I was a kid, Star Wars seemed to be nothing more than a kids movie. Nothing since that time has changed my mind one bit.

Star Trek all the way!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/24/2013 21:20
  • Post subject:
Star Wars by a mile, although I'm not particularly a big fan of either - but a pulp sci-fi world fusing samurai and spaghetti western mythos in space? Fucking brilliantly imaginative. Star Trek on the other hand is pretty derivative of other era science fiction, not far removed from more entertaining franchises like Buck Rogers, and the original series' greatest asset seems to be just how cheesy, campy, and overall bad the whole thing was.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2013 21:24
  • Post subject:
TrekkiELO wrote:

The "VI amazing" Star Trek films are...
The Search for Spock...The Final Frontier and The Motion Picture!

I would call myself a Star Trek fan, but anyone who doesn't see those movies as complete shit is fooling themselves. Especially the Final Frontier, that shit's just plain terrible.
  • Visit poster's website
Magikarp

• Posted: 06/24/2013 21:24
  • Post subject:
Star Wars!
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2013 21:26
  • Post subject:
Also I didn't see the "both" option until after I voted, so I voted Star Wars.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2013 01:36
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
a pulp sci-fi world fusing samurai and spaghetti western mythos in space? Fucking brilliantly imaginative. Star Trek on the other hand is pretty derivative of other era science fiction, not far removed from more entertaining franchises like Buck Rogers, and the original series' greatest asset seems to be just how cheesy, campy, and overall bad the whole thing was.

I completely agree. Both Star Trek and Doctor Who always seemed too cheesy for me (though I do enjoy both). Star Wars, although still accessible for a variety of audiences, just seems more real to me. Everything's just so well done (I'm talking about original trilogy). Star Wars was also genius in showing a futuristic setting that was so "dirty": slave trades, bounty hunting, smuggling, and on top of that most of the scenes take place in near-barren planets/moons (Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Yavin IV). Heck, the only places with actual advanced civilizations were the Death Star and Cloud City (and later lots more in the prequel trilogy). I understand Star Wars has lots of faults (acting), and that George Lucas went a little too far, but the Star Wars (original) trilogy are all in my top 5 favorite movies, have been since I was a little kid, and probably always will be.

And also regarding Metropolis: Metropolis is a great movie, fantastic cinematography, and great effects for the time, and also a fantastic overarching plot, but all the subplots are so stucking foopid that the movie was so much better before they found those "long lost scenes" in Argentina in 2008. I mean, the Thin Man and whole red light district thing? I thought that was just plain stupid and irrelevant to the overall plot (like watching a Verdi opera, amirite?). However, it's still an untimely classic and easily one of my top 20 favorite movies. And it's completely undeniable that Star Wars drew a heck of a lot from Metropolis, so that's pretty awesome.
TrekkiELO

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2013 01:25
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
I would call myself a Star Trek fan, but anyone who doesn't see those movies as complete shit is fooling themselves. Especially the Final Frontier, that shit's just plain terrible.

There's still some cool stuff going on in those 3 films, especially Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, critically the best odd numbered movie and anyone who doesn't see that is as blind as a tiberian bat, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

II-III-IV are one complete story arc making up Star Trek's Motion Picture Trilogy.

Also, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was made better by Robert Wise with The Director's Edition on DVD from 2001.

Then, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier has some great character moments for Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 06/28/2013 23:06
  • Post subject:
I voted for both. I love the original Star Wars trilogy, and I really enjoy Star Trek: The Next Generation and especially Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I haven't watched any Star Trek movies in their entirety, except for the new Star Trek reboot, which was alright, but far removed from the spirit of Star Trek, so I don't think I will bother with the sequel.

As for which series/movies is/are the best, it's hard to answer. The most recent Star Wars trilogy ranges from alright to appalling (with the last entry being easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen), while the original Star Trek series and Voyager are pretty abysmal as well, for the most part. Let's just call it a tie, eh?
  • Visit poster's website