Album of the day (#974): Viva La Vida Or Death And All His F

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
sszwalbenest
Folk Freak

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2013 01:16
  • Post subject:
This album is my favorite by Coldplay. The songwriting seems to be at its usual high level but certain small such as Brian Who's soundscape and production made this album one of my favorites of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 07/20/2013 01:20
  • Post subject:
One of the most beautiful pieces of art ever made.

100/100

It also may be good to mention that Death And All His Friends is my favorite song of all-time.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2013 02:14
  • Post subject:
meruizh wrote:
I dont know if someone can agree with me. But even though Viva la vida is a really good song, it just doesnt quiete fit in this album

Listen to the album from beginning to end, and Viva la Vida just doesnt make any sense, it changes the whole harmony.

Then again, if you skip Viva La vida, everything is perfect

Maybe im crazy, who knows

Love this album anyway

I feel something similar. Viva La Vida was so big back then that it honestly felt weird in the context of an album. Like its home was on the radio. On the album it kinda sticks out in an odd way. Not necessarily a bad way though.
Wombi

• Posted: 07/21/2013 03:49
  • Post subject:
Relistened to this. Thought I had lost interest in Coldplay but I just found it so...invigorating I guess? Which is weird because it's not a word most people would probably associate with Coldplay. But it really stayed true to its titular mantra. Even the songs that talked about death were optimistic ("those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head").

This album is actually an endorsement for 'over-thinking' your music, something that can at times have negative connotations. It's clear that every song, every chord, every note on here is meticuosly calculated and put together, there's not a stray note out of place. Everything is where it should be. Except perhaps the track order. The album doesn't quite hold together for me as an album like this should, perhaps that's because they tried to have too many different sounding songs I'm not sure. However it's still an incredible album with not a bad song on it.

Coldplay Albums Ranking:
1. A Rush of Blood To The Head 90/100
2. Viva La Vida 85/100
3. X & Y 75/100
4. Parachutes 75/100
5. Mylo Xyloto 65/100

Also another thing I find weird is that 'Viva La Vida', the song, is always discussed despite not even being the best song on the album.

Track Ranking:

1. Violet Hill
2. Strawberry Swing
3. Cemeteries Of London
4. Lovers In Japan
5. 42
6. Lost!
7. Yes
8. Death And All His Friends
9. Chinese Sleep Chant
10. Viva La Vida
11. Life In Technicolor
12. Reign Of Love

As for Prospekt's March, the title song is fantastic and would have been great in the album (certainly greater than having Reign Of Love) and I prefer the version of Lovers In Japan, but the rest weren't up to scratch (apart from Lost+ feat Jay-Z which is great but wouldn't have fit in the album).
tbakeman

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2013 04:44
  • Post subject:
ughh, I can't stand this album
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 07/21/2013 09:37
  • Post subject:
Looks like Jhereko and I are having an opposite opinion day. Well not opposite really, but I thought that Lost ft. Jay Z track was horrible; the music and vocals didn't mix well at all. Also the album version of Lost! itself was way overproduced and should have been stripped way way back. Also, although Chris Martin's outlook is heartwarming, I found the lyrics on 42 a bit cringey. The riffs on Violet Hill were horribly out of place. I thought Life In Technicolour II, Glass Of Water and Postcards From Far Away were all great, but yeah Prospekt's March/Poppyfields is the standout on the EP for sure. Glorious.
  • Visit poster's website