Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 08/14/2013 18:20
  • Post subject:
I voted for the 20's.
Saoirse

• Posted: 08/14/2013 18:29
  • Post subject:
I think it's hard to judge a decade you haven't lived through, since we're only really being exposed to the decade's best or worst, not living through the hype of a much-anticipated release only to be sorely dissapointed.

I can't really say much about my experience in the 80s cause I was only three when the decade ended, although I remember seeing my first film in the theater in 1988 (gawd Im old), Blue Planet.

The 90s in retrospect were definitely the smart-allecky decade of cinema, where even the blockbusters had a definite tounge-in-cheek, post-modern feel to them. It was probably the last decade where you saw a wealth of live-action family films and where the summer movie season wasn't completely dominated by superhero flicks and sequels, so there's definitely some nostalgia to be had there. It was also a great decade for expanding the audience to the talented fringe filmmakers who previously would've had a hard time finding an audience beyond festival-goers and the big-city arthouse crowd.

The 2000s were a less easily definiable decade. Yes the franchises ruled, perhaps unfortunately, though there too was a continued push to expand the access to all types of filmmaking, so as always cinema moved forward, though less so in the mainstream than in previous decades. I think perhaps what may have dimmed Cinema's infleuence in popular culture is the rise of the Serial drama, as it seemed like the most acclaimed and invovative work being filmed was being shown on premium cable, not in the theaters. Still, the 2000s had a lot of small gems, even if slightly less cultural "phenomenons" than decades past.

The 2010s are still too early to judge, but there seems to be a lot of similar trends still prominent. Franchises still rule, TV seems to be sucking away a lot of the top filmmaking talent, and there seems to be a focus on finding films in non-traditional markets (ie the internet) rather than in the theaters. I haven't seen enough 2010 films really to give a wide-ranging personal assessment of how it's gone so far, but like the previous decade it seems to be more focused on finding the small gems through multiple channels rather than a focus on the type of big-event picture.

So I donno what I would call the best decade. Every decade since the 20s has a major favorite, so really there isn't much of a need to rank them, at least personally. I just hope that the big-screen movie-theater experience doesn't die off anytime soon, although it's struggling, as that still is the undisputed best way to experience a truly great film.
Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 08/15/2013 18:54
  • Post subject:
Error Finn wrote:
I voted for the 20's.

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)
Erotikon (1920)
The Kid (1921)
Nanook of the North (1922)
Nosferatu (1922)
Three Ages (1923)