Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:04
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
I dunno, the whole "nobody knows who we are" is like crafting legends out of themselves, which is pretentious IMO. But then again we can't really know their motives, they might just want to be left unknown.

but if no one knows who you are, how can you bask in the glory?

a lot of people think they were very well known and respected artists. I think they may not even be the same people. i think what they built is something that can never die
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:25
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
I think you would like From Monuments to Masses, esp. their last album "On Little Known Frequencies". Also read the (culturally diverse Very Happy ) trio's interview with Wired, it's good: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/03/decoding-from-m/

Ahh I was wondering if someone would mention FMTM. Their former bassist now teaches at a local high school around here. I've met him several times. Cool guy, and was the first to get me into GY!BE.

Anyway, I have a question. When people are talking about post-rock, are they going by the original definition coined by Simon Reynolds (the one upon which I believe tekin's chart is based), or has the definition changed over time. At what point does post-rock become simply "instrumental rock" or ambient or math rock (etc)? Are there solid boundaries? Because it seems like everybody has their own idea of what constitutes post-rock. Also if we want a way to define the establishing bands of the genre, we need to think of something better than "proto-post-rock"
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:30
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Ahh I was wondering if someone would mention FMTM. Their former bassist now teaches at a local high school around here. I've met him several times. Cool guy, and was the first to get me into GY!BE.

Anyway, I have a question. When people are talking about post-rock, are they going by the original definition coined by Simon Reynolds (the one upon which I believe tekin's chart is based), or has the definition changed over time. At what point does post-rock become simply "instrumental rock" or ambient or math rock (etc)? Are there solid boundaries? Because it seems like everybody has their own idea of what constitutes post-rock. Also if we want a way to define the establishing bands of the genre, we need to think of something better than "proto-post-rock"

it's just like all sub-genres of music. there are no clearly defined boundaries. if someone calls something post-rock, we have to accept it. Is Julianna Barwick post-rock, or Four Tet? I have no clue.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:45
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
if someone calls something post-rock, we have to accept it

But do we? With everyone seemingly holding their own definition of post-rock (and with some just listening for a post-rock "feel"), then what one person declares as being post-rock someone might define otherwise. Neither party is necessarily wrong, but nor are they definitively right. I've heard many arguments for Kid A being post-rock, but that doesn't mean I have to alter my definition of post-rock to include Kid A

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:47
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
it's just like all sub-genres of music. there are no clearly defined boundaries. if someone calls something post-rock, we have to accept it. Is Julianna Barwick post-rock, or Four Tet? I have no clue.

Well at least we know that they should come out of dominantly rock-oriented musical scenes. I don't think those two are "counter-results" of those kinda scenes.
EDIT: Julianna Barwick's new album is due out . . . today!

Last edited by Guest on 08/20/2013 18:52; edited 1 time in total

• Posted: 08/20/2013 18:48
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Coo!
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 19:01
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
But do we? With everyone seemingly holding their own definition of post-rock (and with some just listening for a post-rock "feel"), then what one person declares as being post-rock someone might define otherwise. Neither party is necessarily wrong, but nor are they definitively right. I've heard many arguments for Kid A being post-rock, but that doesn't mean I have to alter my definition of post-rock to include Kid A

we don't really. I was basically just saying that there's no real reason to even argue with someone about whether or not something's post-rock. it's too vague. and who cares.

Quote:
Well at least we know that they should come out of dominantly rock-oriented musical scenes. I don't think those two are "counter-results" of those kinda scenes.

very good point. I never thought of either as post-rock really, but they also don't exactly fit within another realm all that well.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/20/2013 21:40
  • Post subject:
Agaetis Byrjun
F#A#
Takk...
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico