The Great Thread Crossover Potential

View previous topic :: View next topic
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/09/2010 13:48
  • Post subject: The Great Thread Crossover Potential
Hello albummaster!

Another idea to give you nightmares!

I've become increasingly aware, as have other members probably, that some subjects in forums are kind of related, or that reference is made to discussions had elsewhere, or even repetition of thread subjects. But if the subject has been raised in a much older thread, you may never discover it as it drops away from view, and in so doing seems to mean lots of dormant threads languishing in the nether-pages of the forums that may have relevance to a current discussion.

So I was thinking perhaps providing a drop down menu within a thread with links to the other thread which can be slapped into a post if a member wishes to make reference and steer someone to a remark made there. I think this may cut down on needless repetition of subject because a subject a has passed from view over time, and perhaps a clock system on each thread that periodically pops it up if it has not been used in a while which says something to the effect of: this thread has been idle for x weeks/ months. Maybe then if it is still not used, then it could be removed and therby save space?

what do you think?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/10/2010 15:47
  • Post subject:
We'll look at adding something. Yes, I agree, it can be difficult to find things at the moment. We could add a 'related threads' feature, but it won't happen straight away (there are a few other changes that will happen first). We'll add to the list for a future site update.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/08/2010 18:07
  • Post subject:
We've finally gotten around to adding 'related threads' functionality which shows a list of related topics below each thread on the forums. Over time, we'll make this even slicker (and the logic more intelligent), but I think it's a start at least. Apologies for taking so long to get this done.
  • Visit poster's website