The 3 Second Rule

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2013 13:42
  • Post subject:
I definitely make quick judgements on albums. I don't have to love it from track 1, but there has to be something that holds my interest. There's too much out there to waste time on stuff that doesn't grab you. The great thing is that, if you somehow miss a great album or band, you will hear about it eventually.
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 10/30/2013 16:50
  • Post subject:
I make quick judgement when it comes to music and I often regret them. I did this with Bruce Springsteen initially. I listened to Born to Run, thought it was boring and put it aside for about 2 years. Nothing on the album connected with me on any sort of level. Then, this past summer, I decided to give it another go and I absolutely fell in love with it. What interested me is why I think I came to like it. My tastes hadn't changed or had I changed as a person. What made the difference was the context in which I was hearing it. I was at a point in my life where the songs on that album (and basically everything he made up to and including 1987) really began to connect with me. So I think the context of which we hear albums can also determine our feelings about them and eventually, the music can transcend those context to become albums that we dont' need to be in a certain time or place to listen to them.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 10/30/2013 18:47
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
some albums are just so heavily layered that it takes repeated listens to grasp upon what makes them so special. Pop records are built for immediacy. They generally use familiar melodies, tuning and song structure to win over the listener. No matter how many layers of production there is in a big pop song, it's still simple in many other ways.

Meanwhile, many other types of music involve odd time signatures, key changes, counter melodies, complicated poetic lyrical structure. These things take time to really appreciate. Many of my favorite records still provide me with new intricacies with each listen

I still hear new things when I listen to Call Me Maybe.
  • Visit poster's website