Reality vs Expectation

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver

• Posted: 11/07/2013 07:39
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
I think I must've just been in too happy a mood or something when I gave it a shot. I've heard literally nothing else bad about this album and it comes up as recommended in every music program I use. I think I'm going to have to give it a 3rd listen soon.

I don't really mind if you're bored by it or anything or it doesn't hit you emotionally, I just hear absolutely no similarities to EitS, in the slightest. Aside from that, it's a very melodic album so the whole comment about the incoherent singing didn't make too much sense to me, and it's at the very least sonically interesting and diverse in the sounds it uses. Whether the emotional aspect of the album is effective will vary from person to person. I just found your snippet that I quoted to be something said for the sole purpose of coming up with some witty way to describe it, rather than a reasonable criticism at all. Also Hospice is my favorite album so I have to get all reactionary and upset when people talk bad about it. Laughing
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 11/07/2013 08:02
  • Post subject: Re: Reality vs Expectation
meruizh wrote:
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug & AM, for me at an initial stage, Humbug just seemed terrible, I was 19, expecting the Arctic Monkeys first two albums, and then a listened to Humbug, oh! I was crushed. But AM came and completely understood the Arctic Monkeys intentions finally. Now I consider the Arctic Monkeys one of my favorite bands of all time. (still that feeling with Humbug will always stay in my mind)

Ironically, AM is what led me to what would be known as Arctic Monkeys' worst album. I found Humbug a step in an interesting direction while AM just left me utterly disappointed.

Another example for me was Weezer, I thought they ere some kind of novelty act in the American 90s scene and I never thought that these guys were in any way influential, but I then listened to Pinkerton and, initially I wasn't getting it but, top that off with a second listen and a listen to their début and I was immediately hooked. But with how good they were, scepticism has hovered over their later releases.

benpaco wrote:
Anyways, Hospice. I wanted to like that album. I really did. It's so "deep", so "emotional" for so many ... its just so BORING to me.

This. I wanted to like it to, but I found it to not be my cup of tea. I also found it to be really inconsistent with it's tone despite the "concept".
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2013 08:10
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I don't really mind if you're bored by it or anything or it doesn't hit you emotionally, I just hear absolutely no similarities to EitS, in the slightest. Aside from that, it's a very melodic album so the whole comment about the incoherent singing didn't make too much sense to me, and it's at the very least sonically interesting and diverse in the sounds it uses. Whether the emotional aspect of the album is effective will vary from person to person. I just found your snippet that I quoted to be something said for the sole purpose of coming up with some witty way to describe it, rather than a reasonable criticism at all. Also Hospice is my favorite album so I have to get all reactionary and upset when people talk bad about it. Laughing

I mean, that's where I went with it. To each there own. Not vaguely witty. If I wanted a witty way to describe it, I'd describe it as a war vet with Alzheimer's attempting to explain his life and troubles to a play pen of sleeping infants. The EitS maybe wasn't the best comparison, I'll give you that, though. I did find the singing ... disruptive strangely. I don't know, again, I'll give this another go when I'm in a more ... down mood, but the first time, it felt like they'd set up good music and gone "Guys! You know what would make this better? Words!" "Oh" "Oh yes that could work" "Hm ... maybe. But the album comes out this week" "I have some old poems to use!" "Oh these are good"[some actually very good lyrics I think at times, other things fell flat but again, I was in the wrong mood] "Will it gel with the music?" "Eh, maybe?" It felt like 2 albums unfinished projects that drew on each other and as a result, it had some very interesting moments and some very "This doesn't fit" moments. For me. Everyone experiences music a little differently. And I'm sure I can find the time to break from a FEFA run and listen to that instead. I'm sure I'll probably love it that time around. Took me 5 listens to like Bon Iver, Bon Iver.

It's just weird to me. I'm not closed minded. Like, OK, a lot people will defend Kid A to the death with me. Can't do it. Just, I'm sorry, I tried, no interest. Hospice on the other hand had something that caught my ear, and while I didn't like it, I'm not closed minded to it. My hope is I do like it in the end, frankly, just because it is supposed to be so great.

EDIT: lag cut out some words and parts of words

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 11/07/2013 08:53
meruizh wrote:
R.E.M. - Up. Not that I was expecting a lot of this album, but simply after it, I just stopped listening to any R.E.M new stuff. Depressing

paladisiac wrote:
r.e.m. "up" - where i started tuning out too!

How many times have you guys listened to Up? For me it's the biggest grower I've heard. I also hated it when I first heard it, but at times now it's my favourite R.E.M. album.
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 11/07/2013 09:19
  • Post subject:
Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
Sonic Youth - Sonic Death
Arcade Fire - Reflektor (Ok some songs are good)
Motorhead - Motorhead
The velvet Underground - The velvet underground (Without andy warhol)
Queens of the stone age - Like clockwork
kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2
Weezer - Hurley
Death Of The cool - Death Of The Cool
Sonic Youth - Sister (I sincerlly do not like)
  • Visit poster's website
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 11/07/2013 11:54
  • Post subject:
mbv should be mentioned I think, I love it but it broke my expectation(but maybe, my expectation was too big, It coasts damn 22 years!)
Evandar

• Posted: 11/07/2013 13:51
  • Post subject:
Radiohead's latest was extremely disappointing, especially as I love "In Rainbows" so much. I haven't really been caring too much about what they're up to since, but I'll always cherish the older albums.

Metallica - Death Magnetic. Supposedly a thrash comeback, but only at a very superficial level. Seemingly random riffs thrown together, weak vocals and horrible production made me lose faith in Metallica completely.

Arctic Monkeys - AM made me realize I actually like everything from Humbug onwards a lot more than what came before, and kinda converted me into a proper Arctic fan. Smile

The Velvet Underground - s/t made me realize the band didn't completely suck after all. This and "Loaded" are way better than the first two. Still not a fan, though, haha, so maybe I shouldn't include them.
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 11/07/2013 14:57
  • Post subject:
Evandar wrote:
Arctic Monkeys - AM made me realize I actually like everything from Humbug onwards a lot more than what came before, and kinda converted me into a proper Arctic fan. Smile .

This! the same experience, Praise to AM
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2013 15:08
Puncture Repair wrote:
How many times have you guys listened to Up? For me it's the biggest grower I've heard. I also hated it when I first heard it, but at times now it's my favourite R.E.M. album.

i listened to "up" a bunch back in that day (when i had maybe half of the music library i do now). I was really looking forward to that album, and it ironically let me down. I'm not saying it's a bad album, but it was the first album with no song i loved. They recovered on the follow-up incl. some songs i loved ("imitation of life" and "i'll take the rain"), but from "reveal" and on, each disc has had 1-or-2 glimmers of their awesome creativity and nothing much otherwise.
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 11/07/2013 15:10
paladisiac wrote:
i listened to "up" a bunch back in that day (when i had maybe half of the music library i do now). I was really looking forward to that album, and it ironically let me down. I'm not saying it's a bad album, but it was the first album with no song i loved. They recovered on the follow-up incl. some songs i loved ("imitation of life" and "i'll take the rain"), but from "reveal" and on, each disc has had 1-or-2 glimmers of their awesome creativity and nothing much otherwise.

"Up" was my first and last R.E.M. purchase, haha. Initially I loved a few of the songs, but eventually I decided the quality was so-so. It always seemed to work as background music, though! But that's more of an insult than actual praise, isn't it...
  • Visit poster's website