View previous topic :: View next topic
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 03/03/2011 22:22
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
cartoken wrote:
I never understood this 1 album policy. if i think that Room on Fire is one the greatest album ever, i don't see why i should replace it by another band's album which i appreciate less. my chart is not publication of the most important bands with their influential albums, but only my favorite records.

some members seem to mix up between best ever albums (which a chart should only be about) and best ever bands/artists.

I don't think people who abide the "one-per-artist" chart do it to rank their favourite bands, well I didn't anway.
As previously stated somewhere on these forums, when you've heard more than 100 very good albums (95-100/100), when coming to choose the top 50, a "one-per-artist" chart gives a better overall picture of your taste.
I like my chart as it is right now, but I do feel it's missing out on some other aspects of my musical preferences (post-punk, shoegaze, electro, more recent stuff etc...).

i understand the need to put some other albums that you like a lot to your chart, but once again i think that the idea is to put your super 50 not what you liked in general. believe me i'm also frustrated from not adding some records i like a lot (Gang of Four, Muse, Stan Getz & João Gilberto, Kanye West, The Velvet Underground, The Modern Lovers, Spiritualized ...etc) but it's not fair to other albums i like more. but may be i'm just too cartesian about this.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 03/03/2011 22:36
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I think it only shows people's ignorance of what was before Radiohead. I do like Radiohead, well at least some albums, but to see them dominate everything like that, shows that people didn't bother to pay any serious attention to what was before. I've noticed they were already first for 2011, like, the day after TKOL was available... how much more gregarious can people be?

i feel exactly the same ... but about the Beatles (4 albums in the top 6 of the overall chart !).
i agree too about TKOL (at least it's rated only 3.48/5 in rateyourmusic.com so far).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 03/03/2011 23:20
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I noticed that too and I don't think it represents the site too well (there's thousands of albums on here, not just Radiohead!). Now thinking of maybe adding a carousel so it cycles few different albums from each chart.

I agree. I like to think that there is much more to this site than the Radiohead album covers on the Home page imply. However, the algorithm that turns up Radiohead in the top position is purposed to convey "the truth".
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/04/2011 07:48
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
I think it only shows people's ignorance of what was before Radiohead. I do like Radiohead, well at least some albums, but to see them dominate everything like that, shows that people didn't bother to pay any serious attention to what was before. I've noticed they were already first for 2011, like, the day after TKOL was available... how much more gregarious can people be?

i feel exactly the same ... but about the Beatles (4 albums in the top 6 of the overall chart !).
i agree too about TKOL (at least it's rated only 3.48/5 in rateyourmusic.com so far).

well it's also only rated 77/100 on this site... I think it's normal that it's on most charts so far for this year - because so many people listened to it already (compared to other 2011 albums)..
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 03/04/2011 09:40
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

well it's also only rated 77/100 on this site... I think it's normal that it's on most charts so far for this year - because so many people listened to it already (compared to other 2011 albums)..

but the charts are supposed to be about the best albums ever not the best of the year.
about the rating, BEA has a different rating system. even if TKOL received 30 ratings of 60/100 the averall rating would've been around 65-70.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 03/04/2011 18:43
  • Post subject:
just a side note: when I first joined (OK Computer was still #1; Kid A #1 of 2000s) it was usually considered absolutely ridiculous to have four or five Radiohead albums in your chart, and now it seems like it's become the norm.
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2011 20:13
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
yeah it saddened me a bit to see that. But then I have a radiohead album in my top 10 so i'm not really helping the problem. I think more people should get on the 1 album per artist type chart maybe that would help fix it. Oh and @cartoken that seems a bit convenient that you say that other than TKOL (radiohead album you didn't like) Radiohead deserves to be on the home page. (sets down another can of worms)

worms, worms, worms... I have no idea what to think of the triple radiohead on the home page.. but I don't think I agree with it... yet..

as far as radiohead goes, I am a pretty big fan. (see: #1 and #2 on my chart.) but even i haven't even listined to TKOL enough to even give it a rating yet.

I don't like having two radiohead albums at the top of my list, but what was I to do. i still to this moment can't decide between the two of them, it flip-flops all the time and i wasn't about to knock one down to like #10 just so they didn't dominate the top of my chart. seems like that would make my chart insincere. just doing things for the sake of what my chart looks like to others.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 03/04/2011 22:26
  • Post subject:
I like the album cycle idea. Even if it is the top 3 or 5 from overall, 2000s, and 2011.

Maybe this should be in the suggestions forum instead?
  • Visit poster's website