Best Wu-Tang Solo Album

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?
RZA (with Gravediggaz) - 6 Feet Deep
5%
 5%  [1]
Method Man - Tical
10%
 10%  [2]
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
5%
 5%  [1]
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
10%
 10%  [2]
GZA - Liquid Swords
50%
 50%  [10]
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
0%
 0%  [0]
RZA - Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Japanese version)
0%
 0%  [0]
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
0%
 0%  [0]
Method Man (& Redman) - Blackout!
0%
 0%  [0]
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
15%
 15%  [3]
GZA (& DJ Muggs) - Grandmasters
0%
 0%  [0]
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
5%
 5%  [1]
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... pt. II
0%
 0%  [0]
RZA (with Various Artists) - The Man With the Iron Fists
0%
 0%  [0]
Inspectah Deck (& 7L & Esoteric) - Czarface
0%
 0%  [0]
Other [please state]
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 20

junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/26/2014 03:01
  • Post subject:
It's not the best on the list, but I gotta give a plug for ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers. The #1 personality from Wu-Tang, if not the #1 artist. Remember - he's a role model...

• Posted: 02/26/2014 07:34
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
the qay it starts with that creepy kid story of her dad

That's a boy bro, and the dialogue is culled from Shogun Assassin. It's a dope movie, you should check it out.

Hayden wrote:
6 Feet Deep comes pretty close though.. But I wouldn't consider it a solo Wu-Tang album Confused

Second sentence of OP:

lethalnezzle wrote:
Thought I'd make a thread to figure out what people's favourite Wu-Tang solo/side-project records are

Anyway, didn't expect Liquid Swords to be winning by quite this big a margin. It's a fantastic record, but there are at least three albums on the list I prefer to it. Also, everybody who voted for it should check out Grandmasters, which is nearly as good and criminally underheard.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/26/2014 08:17
  • Post subject:
Yeah, another one Liquid Sword's way.

Then Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Return to the 36 Chambers, Ironman, Czarface (all 4 excellent), Ghost Dog, Fishscale, Only Built 2 (all 3 very good, the latter a recent re-evaluation after years of denying its goodness).

I am yet to listen to Supreme Clientele, the only song I know from it is "One", obviously excellent.[/i]
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 02/26/2014 17:11
  • Post subject:
I went for Liquid Swords, but Grandmasters, Heavy Mental and Ironman could run it close on their day.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 02/26/2014 18:20
  • Post subject:
A bit shocked at the number of votes for Liquid Swords, too. I love it obviously, but wow, it's a landslide here.

6 Feet Deep by Gravediggaz was an instant love for me. First, it's catchy as hell. The choruses are just the catchiest ones I've ever heard, and they're not even sung. If not too fond on sung choruses in hip-hop anyway, unless it's done by a woman (not sure why, I don't care, you neither). Impossible to transcribe in a post, obviously, but their rhythms, the tone of the voice, they are incredible. Check songs like Nowhere To Run, Nowhere To Hide, 1-800-Suicide (it's cheating, as it's a famous line form KRS-One, but I don't care) and Death Trap to see it.

Also, the beats. From the sad, emotive synth thing of Suicide, to the slightly dissonant guitar riff of Detective Trip, to the downright noisy electronic bzzz of Bang Your Head, it's all gold. Not sure what else to say apart from the fact that they are some of my favorites.

Finally, the flaws are pretty unique, being between the calm, dark, laid-back side of GZA, and the hysterical, spitting style of Ol' Dirty Bastard (though never being annoying as he sometimes is, IMO). This is really flagrant in tracks like Constant Elevation (right at the beginning, it's fucking amazing and doesn't lose its time) and Graveyard Chamber. The verses themselves are catchy, actually.

Not much to say about the lyrics though, first because I've never read them so I only really understand a few lines here and there, and because the ones I've understood are not particularly incredible or anything, just classic horrorcore things telling you that they will do really shocking shit and such.

Well, it's just one of my favorite records ever, so don't hesitate to give it a chance if you trust my tastes Laughing

drunkonium wrote:
Yeah some dark shit agin look how coocl iam to like this dark qshit, awesoeflows though, not sure about the luyrics but its pretty frightening actually take you at the trhoayt and never leaves you ,you cant breathe yet you fucks xith it
  • Visit poster's website