World album of the day (#550): Tago Mago by Can

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 05:38
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
as I have a large amount of respect for other people and musicians to do such a cynical aggressive act. You know damn well stating such things is antagonistic and either you don't care or put yourself above others. I'd hope neither is the case. Neutral

The way I see it, you've been antagonizing me for expressing myself about music (note: not the musicians or the people who like the music). An extremely hard-working musician can make music that makes my skin crawl. If they do, I'm going to say so. Doesn't mean they suck at what they do, it just means that I dislike the music. It has nothing to do with you or anyone else.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 03/09/2014 05:53
  • Post subject:
teen fight
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 05:53
  • Post subject:
I have not actively antagonzied somebody since I was in high school, but I will say this from my perspective in a non-antagonistic manner that isn't meant to be condescending or argumentative. I also stopped having a devil-may-care attitude with voicing my opinion on any sort of media when I was in high school, of which I consider tactless comments that lead only to infighting. I've told this to Swede and Lethal, I believe, on the first day I posted here and I was assured that it wasn't a big deal. I'm still not so sure about that and at times I see it as a apathetic viewpoint that doesn't take other peoples personal connection or favortism in mind and it goes in a way of "I'll say what I want, even if it offends people" which is definitely something I don't like about any media community I've actively participated in. I am past riling up other people over my opinion (such as my views on bands like Linkin Park) so I have decided an adult method is to voice it as neutrally and unhostile as possible. I think every community would benefit from this.

That comment right there that you said a few posts back? It seems intentionally hostile to get a reaction out of somebody and of course seems to disregard the band entirely.

I don't like that.

EDIT: I mean perhaps it's a bit too politically correct of me to view it in that way, but is there not a better way to communicate than such words that seeks hostile interaction?
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:16
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

EDIT: I mean perhaps it's a bit too politically correct of me to view it in that way, but is there not a better way to communicate than such words that seeks hostile interaction?

I think your approach makes perfect sense when dealing with most of the things people talk about, but I disagree with it when it comes to art. I think both the art itself and the expression of a person's experience with that art should be unadulterated. The art we dislike can be just as personally meaningful as the art we like. I believe that the challenge is in learning to deal with what other people say about the art we like. I know it stings when somebody bashes some of your favorite music, it does for me as well, but I see it as wrong for me to try to silence another person's attempt to express themselves.

That's just my philosophy. I used to be more like you, tbh. When I stopped sugar-coating my opinions about music, though, I found it liberating. Not only that, but I found myself getting less bothered by others' opinions when they differed from mine. The music we love and hate is a part of who we are and we're all different... and that's a good thing.

Besides, I can't even pretend to be as good at antagonism as purple/Kool Keith Sweat/drunkallday.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:22
  • Post subject:
Quote:
When I stopped sugar-coating my opinions about music, though, I found it liberating

Haha, it's weird. I found the opposite true when I stopped being blunt and supposedly confrontational. I live by a live let live, sort of following the golden rule - "one should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." Though, my patience does thin through constant confrontation and hostility, sure, but I feel so much better treating things lighter and without crass statements about it. But you are right, art resonates, and censorship is very very bad. But there's a fine line between being censored and knowing what to say to avoid divisive hostility though or at least that's how I see it.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:38
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Quote:
When I stopped sugar-coating my opinions about music, though, I found it liberating

Haha, it's weird. I found the opposite true when I stopped being blunt and supposedly confrontational. I live by a live let live, sort of following the golden rule - "one should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself." Though, my patience does thin through constant confrontation and hostility, sure, but I feel so much better treating things lighter and without crass statements about it. But you are right, art resonates, and censorship is very very bad. But there's a fine line between being censored and knowing what to say to avoid divisive hostility though or at least that's how I see it.

Well, the best I can promise is that any hostility you perceive from me is not real and that none of my feelings about music are meant as a criticism of your tastes.

I hope you stick around this time... I actually find your bluntness refreshing.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:40
  • Post subject:
I may disappear from time to time, but I keep coming back so I'm likely not going anywhere for good for quite sometime.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:44
  • Post subject:
Y'all are great.

CAN!!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/09/2014 07:55
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
Not my cup of tea.

Laughing Was that intentional?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 03/09/2014 13:28
  • Post subject:
My impression when listening to this monster record for the very first time: "When was this made? 1971? No way!".
For worship, being born among these trees?"
  • Visit poster's website