Album of the day (#1222): (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
maccuill

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2014 15:29
  • Post subject: Oasis
I only know them from the radio and I didn't like what I heard. I would need to listen to the full recording to really venture a proper opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/30/2014 15:41
  • Post subject:
Some pretty solid pop tunes, some of which are obviously very iconic. Definitely Maybe is much stronger, which might just be the most perfect pop rock album written, but Morning Glory feels a little bit padded out in comparison.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2014 19:12
  • Post subject:
An album and a band which gets overshadowed by the initial excessive critical gushing and the subsequent reactionary backlash. I wonder where they'd stand now if there wasn't such extreme swings...
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/30/2014 19:14
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
An album and a band which gets overshadowed by the initial excessive critical gushing and the subsequent reactionary backlash. I wonder where they'd stand now if there wasn't such extreme swings...

they'd have a few songs accidentally strewn into b-grade Beatles cover bands' repertoires
flash400

• Posted: 03/31/2014 01:47
  • Post subject:
will ferrell oasis snl british parliament. If someone can find this please post video. It is hilarious. Basically will ferrell is a member of British parliament and he is trying to get a vote on oasis being the best band in the world and since the beatles. I have not seen it since it came out but def worth a watch.

As far is this album is concerned I feel it just pops. It's a great pop album and its just fun to sing along.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/31/2014 10:46
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Some pretty solid pop tunes, some of which are obviously very iconic. Definitely Maybe is much stronger, which might just be the most perfect pop rock album written, but Morning Glory feels a little bit padded out in comparison.

I'm surprised it's taken four pages of posts to find an opinion that echoes my own. This is an out and out pop album and I guess you've got to give it to the boys for achieving what they set out to do (if that was their intention). I don't hate this album but this is where the band started to believe their own bullshit. Everything that made Definitely Maybe so much fun is all but gone here, with the possible exception of Some Might Say (one of the bands greatest songs). The album lacks so much of the attack and urgency of their début, the ploddingly dull Roll With It is the perfect example of this. It sounds like the band are already bored of what they are doing. Here the seeds are sewn for what would eventually grow into the aurally offensive coke-fuelled monstrosity that was Be Here Now.
  • Visit poster's website