Chart of the day (#924): By andy_hunter

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/29/2014 20:07
  • Post subject:
This post ^ is very strange. I haven't listened to a lot of music (I've started my obsessive listening about two years ago, certainly a bit more), but even, say, a year ago, I'm pretty sure I could name 100 albums I loved madly. And even when I couldn't, I would never have put an album I'm skeptical about on my overall, I'd just have kept to 50 entries or something like that. How many albums have you listened to Andy? I'm not trying to be like "hohoho look how much more music I know", I'm genuinely interested in the fact that some people might be less selective with their favorites than others.

About your chart, I like it. Couldn't say I love it as it doesn't have many unexpected picks on it, but it covers a really large portion of the rock spectrum and that's cool. Refreshing to see Thin Lizzy so high on a chart, too, props for that.
  • Visit poster's website
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 04/29/2014 20:41
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
This post ^ is very strange. I haven't listened to a lot of music (I've started my obsessive listening about two years ago, certainly a bit more), but even, say, a year ago, I'm pretty sure I could name 100 albums I loved madly. And even when I couldn't, I would never have put an album I'm skeptical about on my overall, I'd just have kept to 50 entries or something like that. How many albums have you listened to Andy? I'm not trying to be like "hohoho look how much more music I know", I'm genuinely interested in the fact that some people might be less selective with their favorites than others.

About your chart, I like it. Couldn't say I love it as it doesn't have many unexpected picks on it, but it covers a really large portion of the rock spectrum and that's cool. Refreshing to see Thin Lizzy so high on a chart, too, props for that.

I don't really agree with the idea of having to be in love with an album start to finish to be on a chart, its about averages so say there are 5/6 songs which you really really love and the rest is ok, it can go on.

Truth be told I'm not happy with some of the last 10 on the list, and I think that's because of my idea of averages and also some of its just being too lazy to change the entries. I know I sound quite indecisive right now, that's because my mind keeps changing.

Anyway, I've listened approximately 400 albums if you're asking. Very Happy

Best Albums of 2014. Rate That Shiz, yo
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/29/2014 20:56
  • Post subject:
andy_hunter wrote:
I don't really agree with the idea of having to be in love with an album start to finish to be on a chart, its about averages so say there are 5/6 songs which you really really love and the rest is ok, it can go on.

Truth be told I'm not happy with some of the last 10 on the list, and I think that's because of my idea of averages and also some of its just being too lazy to change the entries. I know I sound quite indecisive right now, that's because my mind keeps changing.

Anyway, I've listened approximately 400 albums if you're asking. Very Happy

Well I agree with the first part to some extent, some albums on my chart wouldn't be there if my favorite song was removed (Hard Times on Baby Huey's Living Legend, Contort Yourself on The Contortions' Buy, ...). It's just that your descritpion of TDSOTM wasn't very enthusiastic, hence me being surprised by it being featured on your chart. But yeah, it's definitely OK to not love to death all songs on all album from your chart I think. Hell, I could even do without What Can I Do? from my #1, not a very great song.

And thanks for the number. When I had listened to the same amount, I'm pretty sure I only had a top 80 or sth, not being able to honestly fill the rest, so I totally get where you're coming from anyway Wink
  • Visit poster's website
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 04/29/2014 21:07
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Well I agree with the first part to some extent, some albums on my chart wouldn't be there if my favorite song was removed (Hard Times on Baby Huey's Living Legend, Contort Yourself on The Contortions' Buy, ...). It's just that your descritpion of TDSOTM wasn't very enthusiastic, hence me being surprised by it being featured on your chart. But yeah, it's definitely OK to not love to death all songs on all album from your chart I think. Hell, I could even do without What Can I Do? from my #1, not a very great song.

And thanks for the number. When I had listened to the same amount, I'm pretty sure I only had a top 80 or sth, not being able to honestly fill the rest, so I totally get where you're coming from anyway Wink

The problem with DSotM is that it comes with a lot of baggage. It's so often cited as one of the best albums of all time so when you have it #89 on your list of best ever albums you spend more time criticising it than praising it.

Best Albums of 2014. Rate That Shiz, yo
  • Visit poster's website
Secondsoul

Ireland

• Posted: 04/29/2014 21:19
  • Post subject:
Interesting chart with lots of decent albums in there. Not so sure that there are too many people who would agree with you that Humbug is better than their debut album. Still anything against the norm is to be admired!
  • Visit poster's website