Hip Hop Appreciation (Revived)

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2014 14:43
  • Post subject:
I can't talk about hip hop without sounding like an old man. The first music scene that I really got into was hip hop, at a time when the best of the genre was being released. The so called golden age. I say so called but it is an accurate description in my opinion. Most of the stuff that gets called hip hop now, to me sounds far from what the essence of what hip hop was as to be a different genre. Music/production wise the popular stuff now does nothing for me, neither does some of the rap styles. Also the lyrics, including the top sellers has become so mysogynistic and obsessed with money and fame. Yep I sound old and things move on and progress but I'm not sure that most of what I hear now is progression. Having said that there has been some great albums released in the last few years that are fantastic but are mainly from older guys: czarface, twelve reasons to die, son of Yvonne, trophies. There is always great stuff if you look for it.
Also UK hip hop has always been overlooked and underrepresented here in the UK so I imagine it is virtually unheard of in the US? When I get enough points I will do a UK hip hop chart.
If you like hip hop dig into the past, the golden age has plenty of gems, maybe not all the albums were great but even the weakest normally has some belters on it.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/05/2014 15:48
  • Post subject:
Everyone should check out CunninLynguist's new mixtape...

Strange Journey Volume Three by CunninLynguists

It's not received all that much attention (although I think RYM have it ranked very high), but I think it's an exceptional effort. Possibly my favourite collection of beats on any Hip Hop album, and some really clever, thoughtful lyrics that are even genuinely funny at times from both the CunninLynguist's and an absurdly good array of featuring artists - Blu, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, J-Live, Del The Funky Homosapien.

Your Old Droog EP by Your Old Droog

Also this EP has gone too far under the radar for such great work. Some people are convinced it's Nas under a different moniker it's so good, but it's just some really solid old-school Hip Hop - maybe my favourite way to spend a half hour at the moment.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2014 16:51
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Everyone should check out CunninLynguist's new mixtape...

Strange Journey Volume Three by CunninLynguists

It's not received all that much attention (although I think RYM have it ranked very high), but I think it's an exceptional effort. Possibly my favourite collection of beats on any Hip Hop album, and some really clever, thoughtful lyrics that are even genuinely funny at times from both the CunninLynguist's and an absurdly good array of featuring artists - Blu, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, J-Live, Del The Funky Homosapien.

Your Old Droog EP by Your Old Droog

Also this EP has gone too far under the radar for such great work. Some people are convinced it's Nas under a different moniker it's so good, but it's just some really solid old-school Hip Hop - maybe my favourite way to spend a half hour at the moment.

Listened to cunninlynguists one little while back and was ok, will have to listen again. Just checked that Your Old Droog and that sounds really good. I don't think it is Nas but it does sound like him, just not exactly in places. Good shout.
  • Visit poster's website
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2014 21:37
  • Post subject:
I just realised how good this album is yesterday -

Mecca And The Soul Brother by Pete Rock....L. Smooth
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2014 01:43
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
I can't talk about hip hop without sounding like an old man. The first music scene that I really got into was hip hop, at a time when the best of the genre was being released. The so called golden age. I say so called but it is an accurate description in my opinion. Most of the stuff that gets called hip hop now, to me sounds far from what the essence of what hip hop was as to be a different genre. Music/production wise the popular stuff now does nothing for me, neither does some of the rap styles. Also the lyrics, including the top sellers has become so mysogynistic and obsessed with money and fame. Yep I sound old and things move on and progress but I'm not sure that most of what I hear now is progression. Having said that there has been some great albums released in the last few years that are fantastic but are mainly from older guys: czarface, twelve reasons to die, son of Yvonne, trophies. There is always great stuff if you look for it.
Also UK hip hop has always been overlooked and underrepresented here in the UK so I imagine it is virtually unheard of in the US? When I get enough points I will do a UK hip hop chart.
If you like hip hop dig into the past, the golden age has plenty of gems, maybe not all the albums were great but even the weakest normally has some belters on it.

Dip into the underground, it's actually really good right now.
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 08/06/2014 01:44
  • Post subject:
This is my favorite album of 2014 btw.

Piñata by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib
  • Visit poster's website