Album of the day (#1372): Mogwai Young Team by Mogwai

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/27/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1372): Mogwai Young Team by Mogwai
Today's album of the day

Mogwai Young Team by Mogwai (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1997.
Overall rank: 523
Average rating: 81/100 (from 169 votes).

Tracks:
1. Yes I Am A Long Way From Home
2. Like Herod
3. Katrien
4. Radar Maker
5. Tracy
6. Summer
7. With Portfolio
8. R U Still In 2 It
9. A Cheery Wave From Stranded Youngsters
10. Mogwai Fear Satan

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 08/27/2014 20:07
  • Post subject:
This felt a bit lacking in terms of post-rock. It has a really strong start and a fantastic ending, but after Like Herod (though Tracy is an interesting track too), it's a bit all over the place. I like it, but it wouldn't be in my top 10 post-rock albums.
RepoMan

• Posted: 08/28/2014 12:03
  • Post subject:
I love a band that can be both wistfully beautiful and crushingly powerful within the same album. The amount of different sounds they tackle on this album is staggering. The playing is fantastic especially the drums. Clearly Like Herod and Mogwai Fear Satan are the big guns here if you’re thinking purely crescedo- core Post Rock with their head banging payoffs. Like Herod in particular reminds me at times of Sister-era Sonic Youth, Godflesh, and a more Kim Thayil focused Soundgarden. But the other tracks are killer too. Katrien is like Velvet Underground’s the Gift set to ferocious post rock and the drumming is superlative.
Then there’s Radar Maker’s haunting, emotive piano and Summer’s Slint & Filosofem-style Burzum mashup. Tracy is simply drop dead gorgeous, and With Portfolio stuns with a white noise loop that seems to shoot from speaker to speaker. Then R U Still In It finally answers the question of what would happen if either Kurt Wagner (Lambchop) or Stuart Staples (Tindersticks) had decided to front a post-rock band. A Cheery Wave sounds like Faith-era The Cure if Robert Smith had been, um.. cheery. Finally, Mogwai Fear Satan recalls MBV era Loveless and probably most likely influenced Justin Broadrick’s Jesu. That’s a lot of ground to cover in just one hour. Highly Recommended! ****

Fave Tracks
Like Herod
Tracy
R U Still In To It
Mogwai Fear Satan