Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2014 01:25
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I don't specifically think of a theme, I just trust my instincts and go with songs that I think will flow well into one another, and then check to see if I was right. Sometimes I'll have to take something out, because it just doesn't fit. But I certainly don't overthink it. You run the risk of ruining it that way.

Same.

Anyway, I came after cassettes, but I've made mix CDs for... everyone. I've made them for parents, girls, friends, school projects, group therapy people, etc. There's something about bringing together all of these songs so harmoniously for someone or something else. Rebranding that art, making it yours, and then sharing it with others. All of these songs that are, in many cases, your own secret, and work one step further as someone else's special insight into what you feel, and how your mind works. It's a certain sort of intimacy that still exists in a veil. Always the perfect gesture.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/19/2014 01:27
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
The big question is: Maxell or TDK?

TDK.
Precedent

• Posted: 09/19/2014 02:30
  • Post subject:
Looking to get to know this girl better.

Would a mix CD be a good way to "lighten the mood" a bit?

Thinking of putting the poppier side of my top 100 on there, and maybe a Mogwai song or two.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2014 16:32
  • Post subject:
I'm retarded, I thought that a mixtape was when a rapper puts out an "album" for free
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2014 16:44
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
TDK.

Same. More minutes, if I remember correctly. Maxell was 60 mins and TDK 90. Of curse the best option was finding a really shitty album on cassette, putting the masking tape over the little gaps on top and recording over Color Me Badd's hit album "C.M.B." with some aggressive hardcore punk.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/19/2014 18:25
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
Looking to get to know this girl better.

Would a mix CD be a good way to "lighten the mood" a bit?

Thinking of putting the poppier side of my top 100 on there, and maybe a Mogwai song or two.

dating before mixtapes is way better, despite what certain high school movies made by Generation Xers would have you believe
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2014 18:28
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
dating before mixtapes is way better, despite what certain high school movies made by Generation Xers would have you believe

What are you talking about? Gen Xers used mixtapes as a last resort to compensate for social awkwardness and the inability to speak to ladies.

He should make a mixtape centered around 2 Live Crew's "Me So Horny"
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 09/19/2014 18:40
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
What are you talking about? Gen Xers used mixtapes as a last resort to compensate for social awkwardness and the inability to speak to ladies

we're on the same page there. i'm more talking about the wistful fantasies that those socially awkward kids projected onto the silver screen as they came of age. Razz

Quote:
He should make a mixtape centered around 2 Live Crew's "Me So Horny"

never agreed with you more than right now
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/19/2014 19:12
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Same. More minutes, if I remember correctly. Maxell was 60 mins and TDK 90. Of curse the best option was finding a really shitty album on cassette, putting the masking tape over the little gaps on top and recording over Color Me Badd's hit album "C.M.B." with some aggressive hardcore punk.

Haha! I had some creative, witty friends who'd do that. They'd comb the bargain bins for the funniest (read shittiest) albums and then record Slayer or sth over it. Glory years. LOL.

Both TDK and Maxell had 60 min & 90 minute options. TDKs were just cheaper & looked cooler (they were silver on black). But essentially, I just went with whatever was cheapest in bulk that day so I had scores of both until The Flood of 2014.

I made countless mixtapes for girls I was dating, but I seriously doubt they had any aphrodisiac powers. They were just fun to make and super romantic gesture to boot. I still make my wife & kids playlists and some of these can carry a surprising amount of emotional weight. But yeah, there was definitely something extra special about cassette mix tapes. Packaging is everything.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2014 00:03
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
TDK.

Hey that's what I still use if people need a tape for a car that doesn't have a CD player (it happens and I'm that one cool guy left with a CD to tape recorder). I think I honestly just like the wrapping more on TDK, but that's what I still get if I need one ...

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website