Album of the day (#1411): Hollywood Town Hall

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 10/06/2014 18:08
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
I agree with some things here despite feeling that Hollywood Town Hall is essential Alt Country listening (at least that first side). HTH is definitely an uneven album AND front-loaded, but FOUR of those first five tracks are some of the best tracks in the entire Alt Country canon and absolutely glorious...

1. Waiting For The Sun
2. Crowded In The Wings
4. Two Angels
5. Take Me With You (When You Go)

All four of these tracks would be the perfect introduction to Alt Country for any indie rock or power pop fans out there.

Also despite the fact that the second side doesn't come close to reaching the heights of that first side, it redeems itself well enough with those three decent closers, especially the guitars on "Wichita" and "Martin's Song".

I also agree that the Jayhawks finest albums were yet to come and question why the music press spotlight has shined brightest on HTH and Tomorrow the Green Grass Grows when Sound Of lies, Smile and Rainy Day Music are also wonderful. Sound of Lies is probably my personal favorite, but I just started getting into Rainy Day Music. But honestly, that's true for so many of my favorite artists discogs. Will Oldham and I See a Darkness coming readily to mind. (Interestingly, Like HTH, I feel I See a Darkness is the perfect place to delve into Oldham's discog BUT also feel it's front-loaded with a glorious side one that can't quite be matched by its side 2).

The critical spotlight has to lie somewhere I suppose. I just think it's good to keep in mind that it's sometimes quite arbitrary and not miss out on some killer albums. Mazzy Star's Among my Swan being the perfect example. Embarassed Laughing

I agree too with most of what you said.

Those four songs are probably the best from this album. However, let me illustrate my previous point. "Two Angels" is possibly their best song here; a nice ballad combining both vocals with lots of feeling and a different rythm. You can find a better ballad similar to this one on TTGG called "Two hearts".

My favourite album is also "Sound of Lies" followed by TTGG and RDM. I'm glad that I'm not the only one and that, little by little, it has been escalating up the ranks since I joined.

The Jayhawks deserve more praise and I'm glad to find other fans who say this too. If you like country-rock, and I would even say if you like rock music in general, please give them a try and don't only listen to this album of the day.
  • Visit poster's website