CLOSED - 750: Round 1: When Life Gives v. MM..FOOD

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album would you like to see advance?
When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
11%
 11%  [2]
MM..FOOD
88%
 88%  [16]
Total Votes : 18

Precedent

• Posted: 11/09/2014 01:04
  • Post subject: CLOSED - 750: Round 1: When Life Gives v. MM..FOOD
Captain: Dingerbell

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint T...Atmosphere

v.

Captain: MrFrogger

Mm.. Food by MF Doom

Last edited by Precedent on 11/16/2014 02:47; edited 1 time in total
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/09/2014 01:21
  • Post subject:
MM..Food

Is God Loves Ugly in this tournament? That would of made for a much harder match up.
Precedent

• Posted: 11/09/2014 01:28
  • Post subject:
MM..FOOD

The Atmosphere album is just way too inconsistent.

Hayden wrote:
MM..Food

Is God Loves Ugly in this tournament? That would of made for a much harder match up.

Unfortunately not.
undefined

• Posted: 11/09/2014 01:37
  • Post subject:
I love Slug as a part of Deep Puddle Dynamics and some of his other projects (and of course mad respect for co-founding Rhymesayers, and being a huge part of Minnesota hip-hop because of it), but yeah Atmosphere has always been way too inconsistent for me. Yesterday is a great song, and there are some highlights, but MMF, even while being one of my least favorite DOOM endeavors, still gets my vote
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/09/2014 09:40
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

I think When Life Gives You Lemons is better.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/09/2014 10:27
  • Post subject:
I remember never particularly liking When Life Gives You Lemons, but admittedly I hadn't listened to it in a long time, so I listened to it again this morning. It's just cringe-inducing, seriously I have no idea how anyone can keep a straight face listening to lines like "we made her drown in a lake full of patriarchy" or "nobody hates you more than your reflection". Slug's heart is in the right place, but there's just a few too many stories of young girls wronged by the world on this album. It verges on self-parody. And then those beats are just soft as fuck, some crossover shit that never actually crossed over. I can totally imagine Macklemore and Ryan Lewis listening to this album constantly whilst they were making The Heist. I prefer God Loves Ugly by quite a lot, but even then I just don't think Slug and Ant are my cup of tea; I need them like a hole in the head, or a third tit. Mm.. Food probably isn't my favourite Doom album (I think I prefer Operation Doomsday, Madvillainy, and possibly The Mouse & The Mask, with Born Like This and Vaudeville Villain and Take Me to Your Leader not far behind either, though there isn't a lot to choose between them), but it's still absolutely excellent. It's largely produced by Doom, and I'm of the opinion that Doom is an excellent producer, and also of the opinion that nobody sounds as good on Doom beats as Doom does. And the way he puts together words is so fun, full of obscure pop culture references, absurdist takes of braggadocio, and often just a series of hilarious non-sequiturs, one after the other. As Mos Def once said, "he raps as weird as I feel". How can anyone not love his flip of 'I Get a Kick Out of You' at the start of 'One Beer'? Or the extended cookie metaphor that runs through 'Kookies'? This decision is one of the easiest of the tournament so far for me. "Do the statistics, how he bust lyrics was too futuristic for ballistics, and far too eccentric for forensics."
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/11/2014 15:20
  • Post subject:
Well I quite liked the atmosphere album. Not fantastic but not bad. Couple tracks I'm not fussed on and another couple were rather good. I'd listen again and check more back cat. I would take this over plenty albums in this. However, no competition with the man Dumile. C'mon.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 11/16/2014 02:47
  • Post subject:
MF DOOM must be taking in these lemons

14-2

MM..FOOD advances.