Stadia by Diseño Corbusier [Minimal Synth]

Zeichnungen Des Patienten O. T. by Eins... Neubauten [Industrial]

dude yaaaaaaa
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 01/16/2015 08:40
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:

From a personal viewpoint... 2001 despite having some of my favorite albums of all time (It's a Wonderful Life, Things We Lost in the Fire- a great year for slowcore if not much else) was one of the weaker years of the new century in terms of overall depth.

Dunno if you'll be familiar with some of the stuff below but see if anything there might grab ya - one of my fave years of the new millennium, for the simple reason that I never had to work too hard to find stuff I liked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv8KSTnB51c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOK6jrr57cI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjmJu8-dNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99C5yoGbDA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTruoSmR8k8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAEeWxAy6UU
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 01/16/2015 08:42
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
1982, 1995, 1997, 2000 and 2001 for me. Had real trouble even making a top 10 list for all those years.

Just from having a quick look at your chart I'd say to check out these bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupA5wt3IKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPs9jvg6h3c
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2015 16:46
  • Post subject:
Especially weak years IMO:

1984 (after "thriller" and "1999", not much left for me)
1974 (after "the lamb", not much left for me)

i'm not qualified to give an opinion of "weak" years prior to 1967-1969 timeframe.

But it seems like almost every year nowawadays i'm complaining about it being a weak year for music. It's not you (music), it's me.
  • Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2015 21:44
  • Post subject:
1990 - My favorite album of this year is Mariah Carey's self-titled debut. Terribly dry year for rock (before grunge, but after all the best hair metal albums came out) and pop in general, although from what I gather, a decent year for hip hop.

1999 - Easily the worst year of the '90s, imo. Good grunge and hard rock were dead and replaced by pretentious, radio-tailored nonsense like Limp Bizkit and Slipknot, and alternative wasn't much better (Californiacation isn't that great, imo). I actually like most '90s pop, but this was an especially underwhelming year, due to the teen pop/boyband craze and lack of any truly prolific albums. This was also the worst year for rap prior to the crunk explosion of the mid-00s, the genre having become unattractively commercialized, even from heavyweights like Jay-Z and Nas. I also think blink-182's Enema of the State is extremely overrated and easily their worst pre-hiatus album.

2008 - The previous few years had the occasional indie/alternative masterpiece that saved them from what I personally declare the dark age of popular music (the lowbrow, childishly vulgar, snap-dominated period from mid-2005 to late 2008), but this year produced next to nothing that I fondly recall.

2014 - 2013 actually had a handful of pretty strong albums, this year, not so much. The Grammy nominations for best album say it all.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 01/16/2015 22:15
  • Post subject:
Infinity183 wrote:
1990 - My favorite album of this year is Mariah Carey's self-titled debut. Terribly dry year for rock (before grunge, but after all the best hair metal albums came out) and pop in general, although from what I gather, a decent year for hip hop.

What about the war metal scene, which reached its peak in 1990 with Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom? If that's too kvlt, there was plenty of good thrash and heavy metal still getting churned out. The alternative rock scene was also going strong, with a fan favorite (though personally kinda disliked) album Goo from Sonic Youth? Fugazi's best record, Repeater, also came out that year. Dream pop was up and coming and slowly morphing into shoegaze, with Cocteau Twins and Ride releasing Heaven or Las Vegas and Nowhere respectively as well as Galaxie 500 releasing their swan song. College radio saw They Might Be Giants' Flood, The Flaming Lips' In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Ween's debut album. Just because commercial rock radio was as bad as it had been since... forever... doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of awesome stuff coming out that year. And that's ignoring hip hop, which you rightly pointed out as having a great year.

Quote:
1999 - Easily the worst year of the '90s, imo. Good grunge and hard rock were dead and replaced by pretentious, radio-tailored nonsense like Limp Bizkit and Slipknot, and alternative wasn't much better (Californiacation isn't that great, imo). I actually like most '90s pop, but this was an especially underwhelming year, due to the teen pop/boyband craze and lack of any truly prolific albums. This was also the worst year for rap prior to the crunk explosion of the mid-00s, the genre having become unattractively commercialized, even from heavyweights like Jay-Z and Nas. I also think blink-182's Enema of the State is extremely overrated and easily their worst pre-hiatus album.

Again, commercial radio has always been shit, and I will give you that 1999 had an impressively poor showing in that arena. Still, for the touchy feely rock kids there were Sigur Ros and American Football's albums, as well as The Flaming Lips' and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's respective masterpieces. Built to Spill, The Dismemberment Plan, Stereloab, Wilco, The Olivia Tremor Control, and Pavement kept the indie rock scene cranking stuff out, setting the stage for the explosion of incredible indie rock in the aughts (though admittedly Pavement put out their worst record in 1999). And I'm not sure where you get off calling 1999 the worst year for rap when we had great albums come out of MF DOOM, Mos Def, The Roots, Pharoahe Monch, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Deep Puddle Dynamics, and I'm sure several more I haven't heard (of).

Quote:
2008 - The previous few years had the occasional indie/alternative masterpiece that saved them from what I personally declare the dark age of popular music (the lowbrow, childishly vulgar, snap-dominated period from mid-2005 to late 2008), but this year produced next to nothing that I fondly recall.

2008 kinda fell off for rock music to an extent, I agree. I've never been a fan of that Deerhunter album that came out, and Beck made the worst thing he had made up to that point. Still, No Age, Beach House, Why?, and Have a Nice Life put out some of the best material of their careers. Outside of the rock sphere, there was a decent trickle of good electronic music, with DJ Sprinkles, fuckin PORTISHEAD, The Bug, Alva Noto, Flying Lotus, and a less established Oneohtrix Point Never putting out pretty good stuff. I will admit I can't think of a hip hop masterpiece from that year, and it probably is one of the weaker years of the aughts.

Quote:
2014 - 2013 actually had a handful of pretty strong albums, this year, not so much. The Grammy nominations for best album say it all.

Eh, it hasn't had enough time to mature yet. We haven't had enough time to go back and dig into the treasures a little bit further without the clutter all around. On Soundcloud mixes alone (though they weren't the only good things coming out this year), 2014 has been one of the best years of the 2010s, which I very much believe will have been my favorite decade of music so far by the time it ends.
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2015 00:01
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
What about the war metal scene, which reached its peak in 1990 with Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom? If that's too kvlt, there was plenty of good thrash and heavy metal still getting churned out. The alternative rock scene was also going strong, with a fan favorite (though personally kinda disliked) album Goo from Sonic Youth? Fugazi's best record, Repeater, also came out that year. Dream pop was up and coming and slowly morphing into shoegaze, with Cocteau Twins and Ride releasing Heaven or Las Vegas and Nowhere respectively as well as Galaxie 500 releasing their swan song. College radio saw They Might Be Giants' Flood, The Flaming Lips' In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Ween's debut album. Just because commercial rock radio was as bad as it had been since... forever... doesn't mean there wasn't plenty of awesome stuff coming out that year. And that's ignoring hip hop, which you rightly pointed out as having a great year.

I like a good mix of everything, commercial or not. Just because an album is successful or radio-friendly doesn't mean it's not good, even great (i.e., '80s Michael Jackson and Prince, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A., Nirvana's Nevermind, etc.). There are plenty of pleasant surprises from each year if you dig deeply enough, of course, but as far as albums that really defined the year 1990, there's precious little to find, in my opinion.

On another note, I own all of TMBG's albums through Mink Car, and while Flood has a large amount of their best tracks, it's still a bit of a mixed bag compared to something like Apollo 18.

Quote:
MF DOOM, Mos Def, The Roots, Pharoahe Monch, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Deep Puddle Dynamics

I do own Mos Def's Black on Both Sides, but while it has plenty of absolutely incredible tracks ("Hip Hop," "Ms. Fat Booty," "Mathematics," etc.), it's a little inconsistent to me around the middle. Eminem and Dr. Dre were pretty strong in 1999, but still I prefer the hip hop classics from the mid-'90s, back when Pac and Big were still alive and New York was producing masterpiece after masterpiece.

Quote:
2008 kinda fell off for rock music to an extent, I agree. I've never been a fan of that Deerhunter album that came out, and Beck made the worst thing he had made up to that point. Still, No Age, Beach House, Why?, and Have a Nice Life put out some of the best material of their careers. Outside of the rock sphere, there was a decent trickle of good electronic music, with DJ Sprinkles, fuckin PORTISHEAD, The Bug, Alva Noto, Flying Lotus, and a less established Oneohtrix Point Never putting out pretty good stuff. I will admit I can't think of a hip hop masterpiece from that year, and it probably is one of the weaker years of the aughts.

The new millennium in general has been a weak era for me, both in terms of widespread releases and more alternative ones. Popular music lacks the enthusiastic delivery it had in the '80s and '90s, while more artistic ventures often have none of the backbone that grounded previous decades. Honestly, I'll probably come to appreciate the '00s and '10s more as I discover new albums in their sea of releases, but right now, I prefer the overall "sound" of the '70s, '80s, and '90s, which is probably why I haven't discovered a whole lot of phenomenal releases from the new millennium. 2008 is just the year with the fewest classics.
  • Visit poster's website
JasonZaia

Australia

• Posted: 01/17/2015 03:22
  • Post subject:
2014 was kind of a weak year for me. Then again, it did only just happen. So perhaps I'm just yet to catch up.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website