BEA's Year-End List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2015 15:57
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Oh, one more thing about the voting. Please, if you can, keep to the format I specified in my original post. The reason the format is important is that I'm planning to automate the vote counting using a script and the fewer ballots I have to convert manually, the more time I'm saved.

Thanks!

Yo, after making my "image" vote for fun I thought about maybe programming something that could tally the votes for us. At first I just wanted to make it easy for people to re-create my photo.

You just need a database of the album covers, a spot for the user to input their point totals (while keeping track of their remaining points), and then a place to tally up the votes.

I'm kinda just rambling, but I'm thinking we could possibly get a group together to come up with some tools that could make our ranking/rating/voting process a lot easier. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/05/2015 16:19
  • Post subject:
eyezayzay wrote:
Yo, after making my "image" vote for fun I thought about maybe programming something that could tally the votes for us. At first I just wanted to make it easy for people to re-create my photo.

You just need a database of the album covers, a spot for the user to input their point totals (while keeping track of their remaining points), and then a place to tally up the votes.

I'm kinda just rambling, but I'm thinking we could possibly get a group together to come up with some tools that could make our ranking/rating/voting process a lot easier. Smile

Sure, I'm open to collaboration on something like this.

At the moment, I'm just planning to write a quick Perl script to parse the private messages, extracting the album name, artist, and points. The reason I'm encouraging the use of "Insert BEA link" is that it makes use of a database that already exists -- specifically, BEA's. This way I don't have to worry about misspelling, article omission (e.g., leaving out "the" in album titles), etc.

If we were going to make a web tool for the voting process, it would probably have to be incoporated into BEA itself, since making a separate album database would be a massive undertaking.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/11/2015 22:38
  • Post subject:
Keep those votes coming, the top 10 is still very fluid.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/21/2015 16:12
  • Post subject:
Bump, just a reminder. You have about a week and a half.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/28/2015 18:40
  • Post subject:
Finish those lists up and send me a PM. You have 3 more days!
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 01/28/2015 23:27
  • Post subject:
Would it be possible for your script to tally how many times each album got the highest possible amount of positive points (30) in a ballot and how many times each album got the highest amount of negative points (-30) in a ballot? Kind of like how many #1 votes an album got in Let's Rank. Would just be interesting to see.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/28/2015 23:34
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Would it be possible for your script to tally how many times each album got the highest possible amount of positive points (30) in a ballot and how many times each album got the highest amount of negative points (-30) in a ballot? Kind of like how many #1 votes an album got in Let's Rank. Would just be interesting to see.

Yes. In fact, people should feel free to chime in with stat requests. After I've presented the main list, I'll post a thread with a more detailed breakdown.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2015 02:12
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Yes. In fact, people should feel free to chime in with stat requests. After I've presented the main list, I'll post a thread with a more detailed breakdown.

Would love to see average number of points per ballot - ie if everyone had Piñata at 10 points, but literally EVERYONE had it, it could well come in first. While that won't happen, some albums could just receive a lot of low point scores from a lot of users, making them seem more beloved than they really are

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/31/2015 03:18
  • Post subject:
Last reminder and 24-hour notice.