Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2015 04:07
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Yes, I just took the opportunity to discuss it regardless. Razz I think I'll create a thread for interesting vinyl and vinyl packaging.

Please do. I'm always looking for vinyl and packaging that is art in itself.

To add my two cents - I listen to music in many formats and via many avenues of acquisitions. But I'm also a collector - I like to have physical, tangible albums.
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2015 20:40
  • Post subject:
I download one or two albums a day. A lot I pay for-most I do not.

I started downloading music when I was living in China.CDS by Western artists I liked were hard to come by and it was the only way to get a lot of music.

I have very mixed feelings about the practice of using torrents or free download sites. I really don't think The Rolling Stones are going to suffer for the lost royalties, and even Lars Ulrich begrudgingly admits that Metallica owes much of their fanbase to illegal downloading.

A good example of how it can be beneficial is my experience with the band Fucked Up. I probably would not have discovered them if not for free downloads. So I downloaded 3 of their albums for free. I also bought a ticket to their show and spent 60 bucks at their merchandise table. Of course everyone who illegally downloads music does not do this....but a LOT do.

In most cases of independent artists, I will try nad buy the album (usually through bandcamp or CD Baby). I will NOT however by music through ITunes, as it is the crappiest music software around.

Some other rules:1.If I have EVER bought it before, I should not have to pay for it again. 2.If the artist is dead, you are not depriving them of anything. 3.If download something for free and you like it, support the artist in other ways (going to their shows, buying merch, etc).

In many ways file sharing is not much different than the days of tape trading and dubbing albums on cassette for your friends....it is just on a much larger and more impersonal scale.
  • Visit poster's website