Album of the day (#1546): Brighten The Corners by Pavement

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/22/2015 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1546): Brighten The Corners by Pavement
Today's album of the day

Brighten The Corners by Pavement (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1997.
Overall rank: 1,029
Average rating: 79/100 (from 154 votes).

Tracks:
1. Stereo
2. Shady Lane
3. Transport Is Arranged
4. Date With IKEA
5. Old To Begin
6. Type Slowly
7. Embassy Row
8. Blue Hawaiian
9. We Are Underused
10. Passat Dream
11. Starlings Of The Slipstream
12. Fin

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/22/2015 21:08
  • Post subject:
A masterpiece. Their fourth in a row. (Fifth in a row if you include Westing (which I do.))

They rule. they're gods. Etc.

Malkmus' guitar on this album makes me weak in the knees.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2015 21:18
  • Post subject:
"HULK'S ALL-TIME FAVORITEST ALBUM"
-Film Crit Hulk
  • Visit poster's website
joewooley24

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2015 21:21
  • Post subject:
Excellent album. Pavement had a near-perfect career. So consistent with five great studio albums (and the re-releases are just as incredible). Maybe my favorite band of the 90s.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/22/2015 21:29
  • Post subject:
Pavement do early REM, and do it excellently. I love this album, but still consider it significantly weaker than their first three. Their most accessible, and I return to it regularly. Great music for hanging out of the passenger side window of on a Sunny day.
Pavement415

• Posted: 02/22/2015 22:07
  • Post subject:
It's a fantastic album. Very, very few albums compare to the Three Lifechanging Masterpieces imo. BTC is still a notch below them, though that in itself is an achievement. Pavement matures once again in yet another original way. That's what makes them Pavement: always evolving and never disappointing. BTC would later pave the way for American Water, a similar sounding yet lyrically superior album.
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2015 00:03
  • Post subject:
I remember burning a copy of Brighten the Corners on a CD-R in 2009. It had a blue, textured face, presumably providing traction for handwriting, so I scrawled "Pavement" and "Brighten the Corners" on it in neon green marker. It looked terrible, but it sat in my car stereo for months without ejection and I quickly forgot about its imperfections.

"Stereo" was propaganda. "Listen to me! I'm on the stereo!" I attentively waited for instruction - anarchy, reform, seclusion - what prophecy did Malkmus want us to fulfill? "Oh my baby baby baby baby baby babe gave me malaria, hysteria!" What the? "And what about the voice of Geddy Lee?"

It soon became apparent that "Stereo" was not a platform for pushing ideology, but rather a platform for Malkmus to rhyme "mist" with "cyst". I should have realized that "pigs they tend to wiggle when they walk" was an empirical statement instead of an allusion to Orwell's Animal Farm.

... but in all seriousness, Brighten the Corners stayed in my car stereo for months. I probably listened to it a few hundred times as I drove to school or my girlfriend's house or Burger King. I smiled every time I saw a Passat and turned up the volume whenever I passed IKEA. When I listen to it now, it feels like a time capsule that preserved those months with acute precision. I don't return very often, but sometimes it's nice to reminisce. That CD-R is probably still in the car stereo, wherever that may be...
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2015 02:59
  • Post subject:
This is incredibly underrated as far as Pavement albums go - it's as much of a masterpiece as any of their albums (personally Wowee Zowee still hasn't clicked but it's definitely an impressive album nonetheless). There are even days I think this is better than Crooked Rain. It's essentially their pop album and blends their brand of slacker rock with a more polished finish. And there's so much emotion in all of the songs. And seriously, it's got Shady Lane, Type Slowly, Starlings on the Slipstream, and Stereo, four great songs, and two even better songs that are probably among my 10 favorite Pavement songs - Date W/ Ikea and Passat Dream.

I need to listen to this right now, can't help myself.