Film Recommendations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined
  • Posted: 02/25/2015 20:37
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Existentialist films recommendations? Kinda like cinematic equivalents to Camus' The Stranger perhaps? Or maybe something along the lines of No Country for Old Men (or The Man Who Wasn't There or other Coen films)

I imagine you've already seen the big ones? (Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Syndoche NY, etc.)
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 02/25/2015 20:46
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I imagine you've already seen the big ones? (Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Syndoche NY, etc.)

Sure had, the last one is one of my all-time favourites, but it could be a good time to revisit the first two... Anyway decided to go with Linklater's Waking Life today...
  • Visit poster's website
undefined
  • Posted: 02/26/2015 04:04
  • Post subject:
not film exactly, but does anyone know of any super surreal games similar to Myst and/or LSD Dream Emulator? (If anyone can find a way for me to play a port or sth of Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong Nou, I will be eternally grateful)
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 02/26/2015 06:55
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
not film exactly, but does anyone know of any super surreal games similar to Myst and/or LSD Dream Emulator?

I also want more games like this. What I like about both of those games is feeling like a trespasser in an alien environment. Nothing else I've played or watched has quite captured that feeling. Miasmata has a similar isolated feeling, but more survival-oriented and less surreal. "Imscared: A Pixellated Nightmare" is a bit like this, but more horror-oriented and super surreal. Machinarium has a bit of a Myst vibe in the way its world is designed, great atmosphere. Also, Cyan is currently working on a Myst-like game called Obduction, which I'm quietly hopeful about.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse
  • Posted: 02/26/2015 12:04
  • Post subject:
I want a movie that makes me seem accessible but proves I really like challenging, surrealist, endurance-test movies. Any recs for that?
undefined
  • Posted: 02/27/2015 02:15
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
I also want more games like this. What I like about both of those games is feeling like a trespasser in an alien environment. Nothing else I've played or watched has quite captured that feeling. Miasmata has a similar isolated feeling, but more survival-oriented and less surreal. "Imscared: A Pixellated Nightmare" is a bit like this, but more horror-oriented and super surreal. Machinarium has a bit of a Myst vibe in the way its world is designed, great atmosphere. Also, Cyan is currently working on a Myst-like game called Obduction, which I'm quietly hopeful about.

Definitely excited for Obduction. I'll check out the others you mentioned. Definitely agree with your "trespasser in an alien environment" feeling, which really does describe it pretty perfectly, and very few pieces of art in any medium have given me quite the same feeling.

Saoirse wrote:
I want a movie that makes me seem accessible but proves I really like challenging, surrealist, endurance-test movies. Any recs for that?

super accessible, disguised as super abstract (and pretty great either way)
Moved: 02/06/2017 11:04 by albummaster
From Lounge to Movies & TV