Point of Discussion: Genres

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:13
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
You can't make music by staring at Converse (unless they're Gorillaz converse...?) Shocked

You can't make music by 'grunging' or 'punking' or 'hip-hopping' either.
JMan

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:20
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
You can't make music by 'grunging' or 'punking' or 'hip-hopping' either.

Exactly. Hardly any of these genre labels describe the genre itself. The genres may bring connections to the mind once the name of the genre is spoken to someone familiar with it, but that doesn't mean the label itself makes sense. The genre labels usually have weird origins. Grunge, I can partially understand because "grungy" means dirty. And most grunge does sound kinda fuzzy, distorted, what was supposed to be the musical equivalent of dirty. But that's not true for most of grunge. I can't see an album as polished as Nevermind being "dirty" or "grimy." Part of grunge was an answer to heavy metal incorporating elements of rebellion and punk music while putting more of an emphasis on emotion rather than being flat out obnoxious like punk. Really, grunge music is more associated with emotion and rebellion from rules and legislations of the general sophistication that society oh-so-forces upon teenagers who want nothing more to break out of their rusty cages and run. However, by doing so they created a scene where the rule was to be dirty. This does not mean the label describes the music. It partially describes the scene. I'd say a more fitting label for grunge music would be something like "angst rock." Grunge is built upon teenage angst.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:25
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Exactly. Hardly any of these genre labels describe the genre itself. The genres may bring connections to the mind once the name of the genre is spoken to someone familiar with it, but that doesn't mean the label itself makes sense. The genre labels usually have weird origins. Grunge, I can partially understand because "grungy" means dirty. And most grunge does sound kinda fuzzy, distorted, what was supposed to be the musical equivalent of dirty. But that's not true for most of grunge. I can't see an album as polished as Nevermind being "dirty" or "grimy." Part of grunge was an answer to heavy metal incorporating elements of rebellion and punk music while putting more of an emphasis on emotion rather than being flat out obnoxious like punk. Really, grunge music is more associated with emotion and rebellion from rules and legislations of the general sophistication that society oh-so-forces upon teenagers who want nothing more to break out of their rusty cages and run. However, by doing so they created a scene where the rule was to be dirty. This does not mean the label describes the music. It partially describes the scene. I'd say a more fitting label for grunge music would be something like "angst rock." Grunge is built upon teenage angst.

Yes, but 'shoegaze' literally describes an act that goes into the making of the music, which is the obvious difference.
Shepard

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:25
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
That they probably feed their instruments through a lot of effects pedals... ?

OK, I guess the name makes sense, but would the average person make that connection? please tell me I'm not dumber than the average person
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:27
  • Post subject:
Shepard wrote:
OK, I guess the name makes sense, but would the average person make that connection? please tell me I'm not dumber than the average person

Has the average person heard of shoegaze?
CubaZed

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:27
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Has the average person heard of shoegaze?

Is that a new name for meth?
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:30
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
Is that a new name for meth?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure getting into a discussion with JMan has basically the same effect as meth.
JMan

• Posted: 03/24/2015 20:48
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Yes, but 'shoegaze' literally describes an act that goes into the making of the music, which is the obvious difference.

You're right. Still, it's only a descriptor of how the music is made, and not what it sounds like.

Skinny wrote:
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure getting into a discussion with JMan has basically the same effect as meth.

You make me stoned every time.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/25/2015 00:09
  • Post subject:
"People who disregard genres entirely are most likely too immature to deal with the idea that their favorite band is categorically generic, which is often the case. People who adhere to genres like religion often do so out of an obsession in protecting whatever music they identify with from that which they "oppose" and, therefore, listen to generic crap that is exploiting their allegiance. It's important to understand the value and purpose of genre categorization but the best music will always be those that transgress those categories."

Something a friend and mentor told me a few years ago, and I always remember it when discussions like this come up.
  • Visit poster's website