suggestions two of them

View previous topic :: View next topic
martintho
martintho

Norway

• Posted: 03/24/2015 22:28
  • Post subject: suggestions two of them
so my dear friend Geraldine was composing her brand new 1967 chart the other day. not a very tiresome job due to the fact that she only heard two albums from that year, namely l. cohens songs of leonard and the beau brummels triangle. she put them in that order, ie mr cohen on the #1 spot and pushed the magic add chart button. congratulations dear Geraldine it said, and you can view your chart here. and so she did, but behold: there she could see with her own eyes, though through her sisters glasses, that the #1 spot on her own brand new chart was occupied by the beau brummels. what had happened? this: on her first chart, her main chart you might say; the overall chart, she had a couple weeks prior to this enlisted the beau brummels triangle on the #13 spot and mr cohens songs of leonard on the #21 spot. so when Geraldine by mistake turned the order upside down on her 67 chart the wonderful BEA automatically corrected this. what a wonderful thing, she uttered. to celebrate this she wanted to listen to the 20 best songs by the beatles according to BEA, but sadly there was only 16 songs there. you see, a day in the life and three other songs all appeared twice on the list with both the version from the original album and from compilation albums. this, she later discovered, was a bigger issue or problem with other acts (rolling stones!). maybe there will come a day when she can choose only tracks from original albums. one problem with that is of course that you might miss songs that ONLY appears on compilations. so a duplicate-button, perhaps.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/25/2015 09:26
  • Post subject: Re: suggestions two of them
martintho wrote:
so my dear friend Geraldine was composing her brand new 1967 chart the other day. not a very tiresome job due to the fact that she only heard two albums from that year, namely l. cohens songs of leonard and the beau brummels triangle. she put them in that order, ie mr cohen on the #1 spot and pushed the magic add chart button. congratulations dear Geraldine it said, and you can view your chart here. and so she did, but behold: there she could see with her own eyes, though through her sisters glasses, that the #1 spot on her own brand new chart was occupied by the beau brummels. what had happened? this: on her first chart, her main chart you might say; the overall chart, she had a couple weeks prior to this enlisted the beau brummels triangle on the #13 spot and mr cohens songs of leonard on the #21 spot. so when Geraldine by mistake turned the order upside down on her 67 chart the wonderful BEA automatically corrected this. what a wonderful thing, she uttered.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say here. Confused

Quote:
to celebrate this she wanted to listen to the 20 best songs by the beatles according to BEA, but sadly there was only 16 songs there. you see, a day in the life and three other songs all appeared twice on the list with both the version from the original album and from compilation albums. this, she later discovered, was a bigger issue or problem with other acts (rolling stones!). maybe there will come a day when she can choose only tracks from original albums. one problem with that is of course that you might miss songs that ONLY appears on compilations. so a duplicate-button, perhaps.

It would be pretty much impossible to determine automatically which tracks on different releases are the 'same' & I think doing this manually would be prohibitive given that there are about a million tracks here (the 'same' track on another album could have all sorts of variations e.g. a different mix, an extended version etc). I think the nearest thing to this, as you've alluded to, would be to have an option to filter compilations so that you can view the top-rated tracks by an artist excluding/including compilations (duplicates would be less likely to appear, but you'd still have the option to view compilations as well.) I'll add this to the list.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/25/2015 15:47
  • Post subject:
I think, in the first suggestion, what the poster is saying is that there should be a way to link overall/decade/year charts, in that if an album, x, was at #10 and another of the same year, y, was at #20 in the person's overall and they were to put these two in a year chart and y happened to be above x, then the system would do a magic switcharooney and x would be above y.

I like this idea but it seems a little far-fetched
martintho
martintho

Norway

• Posted: 03/27/2015 00:35
  • Post subject:
you've got me exactly suedeswede. first time AM didn't. normally am is the only one who can interpate me.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/27/2015 03:38
  • Post subject:
this guy has a way with words
martintho
martintho

Norway

• Posted: 03/27/2015 11:58
  • Post subject:
dividesbyrezo:
Quote:
this guy has a way with words

word
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/27/2015 20:38
  • Post subject:
rezo
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 04/08/2015 19:06
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
I think, in the first suggestion, what the poster is saying is that there should be a way to link overall/decade/year charts, in that if an album, x, was at #10 and another of the same year, y, was at #20 in the person's overall and they were to put these two in a year chart and y happened to be above x, then the system would do a magic switcharooney and x would be above y.

I like this idea but it seems a little far-fetched

I like the idea too, but I wouldn't make it automatic. Maybe on the edit page for the Overall and Decade chart, you could have a "Magic Switcherooney" button that will sync all the downstream charts.

When I hear a new album that I really love, if I could just rank it in the overall, and have it get added in the right place to the decade and year charts, that would simplify everything.

Fictional example: I just heard "Ancient Hittites" by Five Purple Giraffes, from 1987. It's great, and it deserves to go in my Top 100. Editting the Top 100, I put it in at number 73. Now, in the 80's chart, that would place it at around 30th. Magic Switcherooney Button places it in at number 38, moves everything else down, and drops whatever I have at #100 for the 1980's. It would also place it in at #6 on my 1987 chart, between Hysteria and Appetite for Destruction. Before, I would have had to do this all by hand. Thanks, Magic Switcherooney Button.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/09/2015 09:22
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
Editting the Top 100, I put it in at number 73. Now, in the 80's chart, that would place it at around 30th. Magic Switcherooney Button places it in at number 38, moves everything else down, and drops whatever I have at #100 for the 1980's. It would also place it in at #6 on my 1987 chart, between Hysteria and Appetite for Destruction. Before, I would have had to do this all by hand. Thanks, Magic Switcherooney Button.

Happy to investigate this, but in practice I think there might be some details that make this a bit fiddly. For example, how do you determine the album's rank for the downstream charts? Does the magic button work it out automatically or do you have to tell it what rank to put it in? (e.g. how do you arrive at 38 for the decade chart if it's ranked 73 overall, some people might calculate this differently). At which point in the process do you apply the ranking? Do you get a nag after you've saved your chart for each new album in your overall/decade chart, do you do it while editing the chart, or does the system do it silently behind the scenes (& potentially screwing your other charts if you don't like the way it calculates the downstream rankings)?
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2015 13:15
  • Post subject:
In your overall chart, you have a certain number from the 1970's. Magic Switcherooney (I'm loving this term) would take all the 1970's albums in the Overall and put them in order at the top of the 1970's chart.

Even if you could do a side by side comparison of the overall chart's 1970's albums with your list of Best of 1970's, that would be useful.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website