Carrie and Lowell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver

• Posted: 04/05/2015 05:27
  • Post subject:
Gigantic wrote:
it's not a particularly "crazy" idea - i know a guy for example who wanted to "understand" ♪avant-garde jazz♪ so he just forced himself to listen to and relisten to the staples until he "got" them. did he actually "get" them or did he just acclimatize himself to them?

although so much of what we like is dependent on so many other variables - nostalgia, association, desire, etc. that "objective appreciation" is unobtainable anyway

Well if he thinks he gets them and enjoys thinking that he gets them than who's to say he doesn't enjoy them?

That is very true though about all the different variables, though it's funny how none of them hold any real sway over the others. I've got stuff I adore because of nostalgia but then other stuff I loved around the same time I can't stand anymore, so there most be other associations that elevates one above the other for me. It's hard to really tell why I even like albums anymore, I just do.

Sometimes I just look at Norm and Mecca's ratings to decide what I think. Laughing
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2015 05:37
  • Post subject:
Gigantic wrote:
"objective appreciation" is unobtainable anyway

this i agree with.
gerhard

• Posted: 04/05/2015 14:38
  • Post subject:
geez, you folks have this same discussion on like, every thread
  • Visit poster's website
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2015 00:12
  • Post subject:
So, I decided to make this my first Sufjan listen. And I've listened 3 times now.

-The first song is fucking gorgeous
-For some bizarre reason, however, the remainder of the first half makes me irrationally angry. Like, beat someone up angry.
-Then the second half just bores me.

How much am I likely to enjoy his prior releases?
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 04/11/2015 00:19
  • Post subject:
rayword45 wrote:
How much am I likely to enjoy his prior releases?

You will definitely like his work from Michigan to Illinois. His electronica pursuits may take a while to get used to if you haven't already.
Pavement415

• Posted: 04/11/2015 05:54
  • Post subject:
rayword45 wrote:
So, I decided to make this my first Sufjan listen. And I've listened 3 times now.

-The first song is fucking gorgeous
-For some bizarre reason, however, the remainder of the first half makes me irrationally angry. Like, beat someone up angry.
-Then the second half just bores me.

YES. I've never had this reaction to any acoustic album before, and I can't seem to find the trigger here..

-Wallace
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2015 06:23
  • Post subject:
i guess i don't hear the music as monotonous. the instrumentation perhaps doesn't vary much, but it doesn't need to. it's mostly pretty down-tempo, i guess. but what are you expecting? it's not prog-rock. it doesn't need to do too much. musically, there's still of lot of depth and intrigue. if you're looking for dramatic, edge-of-your-seat or meet-me-on-the-floor-pyt, then you're not going to find it here, but as far as melodramatic, pensive introversion goes, it's all here.

lyrically, this album is gorgeous and as far from monotonous as it gets. listening to this album feels almost like reading a book or thumbing through someone's old journals and photo albums. i find the only thing particularly moving. anyone who's lost a parent knows the pain he's going through. he wants to rip his heart out. he sees no reason to go on living - not in the world-revolves-around-me sense but in a my-loved-ones-left-without-me sense.

in contrast to his other albums, this album just comes across as infinitely more sincere. he tends to be a little too overambitious and self-indulgent, his reach exceeding his grasp time and again. here, he does away with the eletronics that were so distracting on age of adz. he does away with the beautiful but tedious and excessive sweeping string sections. the song titles don't take thirty-seconds to recite. the themes aren't so ambiguous that you're left puzzling over what emotions are supposed to overtake you. the end delivery is still enchanting but much simpler, and that's all it ever really needed to be. he's not trying so hard to be "sufjan is so cool" anymore. this album is personal, unpretentious, post-ironic, pensive and poignant.

i've long been a sufjan fan, i suppose, but for me, this is the first and only time he's really blown it out of the park.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2015 19:21
  • Post subject:
I love it. Difficult to compare to his previous releases. For me it is up there with Michigan, Illinois and The Age of Adz - impossible to separate these objectively.
  • Visit poster's website