Chart Study #5: Happymeal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/08/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I've noticed you have three Spanish-language albums in your top 10. Do you speak Spanish? You mention in one of your chart notes that your mother is Colombian. Do you find that you identify more with Latino and Latino American artists than, say, artists of African or European descent?

I speak Spanish, but not fluently. Currently still learning the language and getting used to it, but immediate conversation (as in conversation that happens on the moment talking to people) was never my strong suit because I have difficulty explaining myself quickly. it takes me a few minutes to organize my thoughts. I've never had that trouble with typing or writing, but speaking in a language that I'm not currently a master in otherwise is going to be significantly more difficult to do (sometimes I do it just because people want me to though),

The second question is kind of intriguing because I don't identify as anything, at least purposefully or conscientiously. I think identifying with things can be kind of dangerous due to sometimes giving too much into herd mentality. I try not to allow too much to influence my conclusions outside of facts and logic. That doesn't mean I can't like certain things that belong to certain groups or people, it's just that I prefer observing .
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/10/2015 14:56
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
The second question is kind of intriguing because I don't identify as anything, at least purposefully or conscientiously. I think identifying with things can be kind of dangerous due to sometimes giving too much into herd mentality. I try not to allow too much to influence my conclusions outside of facts and logic. That doesn't mean I can't like certain things that belong to certain groups or people, it's just that I prefer observing .

I can understand that. When you identify as a particular group it can also influence the way people treat you and it sucks to be pigeon-holed.

Another group you probably don't want to be identified with is "emos". However, given all of the emo-influenced pop punk you listen to, I wonder, how much do you relate to the values that are usually associated with that subculture? Is it just about the music?
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/10/2015 17:34
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I can understand that. When you identify as a particular group it can also influence the way people treat you and it sucks to be pigeon-holed.

I just want to clarify that I don't care about how other people would observe a group I might identify as. Comprehending something as nuanced and large as whole sections of people is not only difficult, but it's up to the person observing the group to understand, not the group itself. However, there has been a fairly irksome movement that is actually gaining quite a bit of momentum attempting to force others into understanding and inclusion which I find to be insane. One should never attempt to force people to do anything that doesn't prevent actual harm (laws for ex. prevent people from murdering as best they can. It's essentially the best measure a society can take without removing agency). I don't enjoy ignorance, but the most someone should do is present one's side and then allow others to make their own conclusion.

sp4cetiger wrote:
Another group you probably don't want to be identified with is "emos". However, given all of the emo-influenced pop punk you listen to, I wonder, how much do you relate to the values that are usually associated with that subculture? Is it just about the music?

I would say it's mainly about the music (not the scene, but my propensity for the scene begins and ends with the music associated with it), but I would like to add that "emos" are as diverse and nuanced as almost any other subgroup. I'm not a person who likes taking a general view of things. I find viewing each individual case alongside the relevant evidence and then making a conclusion to be most efficient road despite being more difficult to do. The point is that I find it difficult to answer the question about values because not all people who identify or are considered emo possess the same values so it truly depends.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/10/2015 18:24
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I would say it's mainly about the music (not the scene, but my propensity for the scene begins and ends with the music associated with it), but I would like to add that "emos" are as diverse and nuanced as almost any other subgroup. I'm not a person who likes taking a general view of things. I find viewing each individual case alongside the relevant evidence and then making a conclusion to be most efficient road despite being more difficult to do. The point is that I find it difficult to answer the question about values because not all people who identify or are considered emo possess the same values so it truly depends.

So you would take it a step further and deny that an emo subculture exists at all? I agree with you that individuals will never share all of the same values within a group, but I do think that people sometimes identify themselves as part of a group because of their perception of what that group stands for (accurate or not).
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/12/2015 15:49
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
So you would take it a step further and deny that an emo subculture exists at all? I agree with you that individuals will never share all of the same values within a group, but I do think that people sometimes identify themselves as part of a group because of their perception of what that group stands for (accurate or not).

I do think there is/was an emo scene, but that just it wouldn't be affecting the values people involved have. Some people just have similar interests (like music and choice of fashion), that doesn't mean the interests themselves effect what morals they have. Just to clarify, what emo is associated with has changed greatly as far as aesthetics and music goes.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/19/2015 17:07
  • Post subject:
Want to come back and wrap this up. Others can feel free to ask more questions whenever they please, but that's it from me for now. Thanks Happymeal for your responses, and feel free to use this thread to advertise major updates to your chart.