BYT - G5 - 1977 (mercury) v 2007 (Hayden)

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Choose!
65%
 65%  [21]
34%
 34%  [11]
Total Votes : 32

Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/18/2015 15:34
  • Post subject:
'77 easy in spite of Pink Floyd on one side & Blu & Exile on the other.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2015 15:35
  • Post subject:
I really like pretty much everything about Hayden's 2007 group. I love all of those albums and the singles are pretty good too, but there's no way I vote against Low + Animals + Zombie + The Clash (any of which could probably make my overall chart at any given time depending on my mood). I don't love Chrome, but it's still good. And the Rose Royce single may have sealed my vote.

Keep using your best stuff Mercury. I'm be coming for you with 1978 later on.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/18/2015 18:24
  • Post subject:
I don't really have the time to listen to the Chrome album or Below The Heavens given my listening for the next round, so I'll judge without them.

In terms of albums, it's pretty equal. For Emma's solemn beauty juuuust beats out Zombie's impulsive, irresistible funk. Boxer and Neon Bible are both Very Good Indie Rock Albums about which I can't think of much to write. The Clash is solid, and Low is a great art-rock album marred by a slide into ambience near the end. Animals is pretty good, if a bit bloated at times, whilst In Rainbows is just ok. Overall, 1977 wins out.

In terms of singles, the only one I didn't like on either team was The Modern Dance. 1977 has three classics (Patti, Neil and Stevie), and Wishing on A Star isn't too bad either. 2007, however, has Someone Great (absolutely superb) and three other great songs in Stronger, Int'l Players Anthem and Stuck Between Stations. No Pussy Blues is a bit monotonous but those noise freakouts save it. Overall, I gotta go 2007 by a whisker.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/19/2015 15:19
  • Post subject:
Yeah, fairly easy choice here. 'Int'l Player's Anthem' is as good a song as has ever been recorded, but I'm disappointed that the entire album wasn't worthy of a nomination (seriously, listen to Underground Kingz if or when you get the chance - one of the only hip-hop double albums ever that manages to justify its length, and probably my second favourite UGK album after Super Tight). On top of that, it's almost cancelled out by 'Stronger', which is basically the worst thing Kanye West has ever released. Outside of that, there's that great Hold Steady song, and that dope Grinderman tune, plus two amazing albums (Below the Heavens and In Rainbows) and three completely meh ones. Not a terrible team, but definitely not something to stir the loins. 1977 is dope - The Clash + Zombie + Low + every single one of those beautiful singles would be enough to get my vote against the vast, vast majority of teams I've seen. No contest here.
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/20/2015 09:14
  • Post subject:
77 isn't quite perfect, but still gets this vote easily since 07 just has little to get excited about. In Rainbows is fantastic, but as much as The National always seemed like it would my type of music their entire discography has done next to nothing personally (and Boxer is no exception), For Emma and Neon Bible would get a more enthusiastic reaction several years ago, and I do quite like Below the Heavens but obv not as much as some others here. Beyond Int. Players Anthem the singles team is also a bit too underwhelming (I do like if not love the Grinderman single, and the Hold Steady song is okay but far from their best). Still a fine team though, guess depends on the individual listener when gouging excitement level.

On the 77 team, not at all a fan of Animals (though probably the most interesting post-Barret work by the band), have never gotten into Chrome, but the other three albums are gold. The singles team, while maybe not completely stunning, is pretty terrific top to bottom. So easy vote here, 77 keeps steamrolling (the *COUGH* opposite of the last tourney).
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/20/2015 15:55
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
So easy vote here, 77 keeps steamrolling (the *COUGH* opposite of the last tourney).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Visit poster's website