Bias towards British bands

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2015 14:06
  • Post subject:
I dunno, even though there's obviously a lot of British music that I love, thinking about most British music of the past twenty years makes me vomit out an NME-colored spew on my keyboard. So much of British pop culture revolves around a sort of canonical over-reverence, and I just can't stand that mentality that the worst Arctic Monkeys album is still a masterpiece because it features Alex Turner. (I hope that doesn't sound racist)
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 10/28/2015 14:11
  • Post subject:
sksol wrote:
I'm wondering how to bring the list to one we would get if we could ask every person in the world, and then average.

You do not want that. First, of course, most people are not willing or able to list even 10 Albums, let alone 100. But if they were, we would have a bias towards English/American music. We would have a bias toward current music, we would have a bias towards "popular" music - which is a kind of tautology in this case.

Are you familiar with the Eurovision Song Contest? There millions (certainly hundreds of thousand) of people from more than 20 Countries vote for their favorite song (out of very bad ones). The result is grotesque.
sksol

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2015 14:22
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit, so what is the gold standard then? What ideal ranking chould the chart here approximate?
Taking every person in the world who understands music, and ask them to create charts? Or taking every music expert/writer, and average them? What is the ideal?
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 10/28/2015 14:44
  • Post subject:
sksol wrote:
What is the ideal?

I am afraid we already have the ideal here at BEA. People here have enough love for music to take the trouble to compile a list. The overall result is pretty impressive, I think. The BEA chart is not worse than the one compiled for example by the experts of RollingStone. Surely, we would have a different list if people were forced to widen their scope, listen to Ukrainian music. Listen to Jazz, if you are a Rock fan, listen to HipHop if you enjoy country music.

Take someone like Pietro Scaruffi, who obviously has an obscene knowledge of all music from all genres and every age (or so it seems). Is his list better than mine or yours or the average of BEA? In a sense yes, he likes music that we literally have never heard of, so his judgement should have more weight. On the other hand, can you take someone seriously who dislikes the Beatles? I believe in the wisdom of the crowd, as long as the crowd is dedicated to the cause.
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2015 15:09
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
But US music is obviously vastly superior to UK music, and I hope this fact continues to become clearer for all.

I don't know that US music is better on average than UK music, but due to population size there is a lot more US music. Therefore there should be a lot more good US music. However, since black Americans are responsible for most of the genres that are popular today (jazz, rock, hip hop, r&B, soul, etc.,) you may be able to say that US music has been historically more innovative.
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2015 15:47
  • Post subject:
TannerVHalv wrote:
However, since black Americans are responsible for most of the genres that are popular today (jazz, rock, hip hop, r&B, soul, etc.,) you may be able to say that US music has been historically more innovative.

I wouldn't even limit it to just "Black" music. I'd say that the US pioneered modern music. With country, folk, blues, rock, etc etc.

I do think that the best "Rock bands" of all time lean in favor of the UK. But some one else made a good point that i think just because of the size and diversity of the US there is a lot of music produced from here.

Most of my charts are overwhelmingly American (70-90%) That doesn't make me a xenophobe and it doesn't mean that i don't like many types of music. But I have created my charts for 2 main purposes; 1) as a reference for myself to look back on, and 2) as vehicle to promote the music that i enjoy so that perhaps someone else might enjoy it too.

I realize Ive veered off topic, but i'll finish by saying, sure, there are flaws with the BEA system. I think that within the community certain albums get hyped passed the point they should be, and other albums go generally overlooked. I also think that BEA is the best method I've seen for compiling a comprehensive list such as we try to do.

So with that in mind use the site as a guide to expand your horizons and find music you like regardless of where it came from.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
sksol

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2015 15:52
  • Post subject:
Progressive music is associated with the UK much more than with the US. And I would argue that it broke away from "Black" music.
  • Visit poster's website