United States

• Posted: 04/12/2016 16:02
  • Post subject:
ShadowColossi wrote:

Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective

-RE-LISTEN-

It's numba 2 on my chart for a reason

Still a 9.8 / 10

I don't get this album or why people like it. I'm willing to give it another chance, but anything specific which really draws you to it?

(I mostly agree with the rest of your album comments in this thread, which is why I ask.)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2016 19:02
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
ShadowColossi wrote:

Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective

-RE-LISTEN-

It's numba 2 on my chart for a reason

Still a 9.8 / 10

I don't get this album or why people like it. I'm willing to give it another chance, but anything specific which really draws you to it?

(I mostly agree with the rest of your album comments in this thread, which is why I ask.)

Well, the whole thing has an atmosphere to it that draws me to it. It was one of the first albums that I really got into, and a lot of the melodies just stick to me for some reason. I understand why you wouldn't like it, however, it has a very particular style. The dueted vocals and the melodies, along with the backdrop of reverb-drenched electronics are what draws me to it. I don't know exactly what I like about it specifically besides that, it just relaxes me and leaves me smiling. Nostalgia also may play a part haha
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2016 19:19
  • Post subject:
Alright folks, haven't updated this shiz in a while so here we go

Is The Is Are by DIIV

I like Diiv in all- but this is a weak release for me. None of the songs really stick to me, and my expectations were high after hearing a "Dust" demo perhaps a year back. It's supposed to be more of a true album than their last one, and Zachary Cole-Smith had blown everyone's expectations to the skies. The amount he talked up this album is seriously ridiculous, especially considering how long it took him to make it. But overall, they took the diiv sound, and added distortion, which I thought was going to be glorious- but they drowned everything in even more reverb than their last release, and it resulted in a lot of muddy songs that don't really stick. They sound nice as background but for in-depth listening, they just don't make an impact. The vocal performances and melodies were rather weak, and none of the features did them much justice. The only two tracks I really liked were "Dust" and "Mire (Grant's Song)", which is disappointing if you'll notice it's a 17 track record.

6.0 / 10

The Wilderness by Explosions In The Sky

Another new release- this one's positive! (About time, haven't enjoyed many releases so far this year). It takes a couple listens to really notice all the little things in some of the quieter tracks- they probably halfed their normal volume level. But they are still very well-crafted songs, none of which I didn't enjoy. And "Disintegration Anxiety" is more than just a bad-ass song name, it's a great track. I recommend this one for sure- but don't expect their usual guitars that crescendo into madness- this one is a lot more subtle.

8 / 10

Teen Dream by Beach House

Not a new listen, but a god one nonetheless. Just a good atmosphere, though it results in the songs muddling into each other quite often. But some of the tracks do really stand out, and it's music that's great at nearly any time.

8.4 / 10

Five Leaves Left by Nick Drake

I've been a fan of "Bryter Layter" and "Pink Moon" for quite a while now, so I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this one. But it's very good- starts off with a bang. "Time Has Told Me" is a fantastic track, and the lyric "You're a rare, rare find, a trouble cure, for a troubled mind" got to me. But it's quite good all the way through, it's an album you'd expect after hearing his other releases- his calm voice and flawless playing make for some seriously great stuff. Other standout tracks were "Three Hours", and "Saturday Sun".

8 / 10

In A Priest Driven Ambulance by The Flaming Lips

Loved the first three track when they were shown to me a while back by one of my friends. Still do. The album after that isn't as good, but still a solid release for the FLips. I just have one question for them... Why'd the Jesus Songs start at 5? Am I missing some from a different release? Oh well. Time will tell me.

8.2 / 10

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I...ic Monkeys

Listened to this one since it was in the top 50, even though I'm really not an Arctic Monkeys fan. Like I expected... it was ok. But nothing I haven't heard before. Some creative guitar playing on some tracks, but still it was just kinda... meh.

7.7 / 10

Pussy's Dead by Autolux

But why you no do shoegaze anymore, Autolux? I miss your guitars.
It's ok.

7.4 / 10

Last edited by ShadowColossi on 04/20/2016 00:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2016 00:24
  • Post subject:
Haven't had a lot of time to listen to music lately, most of my time has been spent mixing and writing my own material and spending the 7 hours of my day at work making food for the drunk people of my city. But here's what I have been listening to:

Sleep Cycle by Deakin

The deak delivers with his album 7 years in the making. I won't bore you with the backstory that I'm sure you've heard a million times over by now if you've heard anything about this release, I'll just get straight to the material. It starts of with a bang, "Golden Chords"- a surprisingly folksy tune that reminds me of Feels/Sung Tongs-era Animal Collective, and a voice much higher than I thought he'd have (considering we've only heard him in "Wide Eyed" thus far). It's a very pleasant tune that features some lyrics on self-doubt that are very enjoyable. Relaxing stuff. Then comes "Just Am" an 8 minute psychedelic trip that features a music video that looks pretty much like the song sounds- some trippy synths, disorienting effects, and some AnCo-esque melodies. "Good House" is my next favorite, sort of similar to "Golden Chords". Although the style is drastically different, it reminds me of Pink Floyd's start and end to Animals, with two folksy tunes as the end pieces. The filler is still there however, with neither "Shadow Mine" or "Seed Song" being very enjoyable to me. Too many effects that muddle the atmosphere. Overall, a solid, but not spectacular release.

7.7 / 10

Mark Hollis by Mark Hollis

Been listening to a shit ton of Talk Talk lately, so naturally, I finally picked up on Mark Hollis's solo effort. It's what I expected- it's Talk Talk style, but you can tell it's a solo effort. Not as layered or complex as "Laughing Stock" or "Spirit of Eden", but it's still very good. It's spaced out post-rock featuring piano, jazzy drums, and some background instrumentals. It's also even quieter than his last two Talk Talk efforts. "The Colour of Spring" was a surprising start for me, a pretty simply piano song. Spaced out for sure, but not many tricks or gimmicks in that opening track. But it soon changes. The only complaint I'd have with this release is that it sometimes focuses on instrumentals that feature either unpleasant note combinations or just rhythms that are hard to comprehend (this is usually done with a woodwind instrument). I still very much enjoy this album, however.

8.3 / 10
  • Visit poster's website