Qu'est-ce qu'on s'emmerde.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/22/2016 22:14
  • Post subject:
I first became aware of Ellen Warshaw's existence thanks to this very good compilation:

V/A, Wayfaring Strangers: Ladies from the Canyon (a Numero Group release), which comprised unknown lesser gems from ladies that had issued one record, if that (sometimes a single track on a self-released community compy) back in the late 60s-early 70s. I was curious about her cover of 'Sister Morphine', and so, years later, here I was a few minutes ago listening to this:

Her self-titled from 1973 (and only album, if I'm right). Well, folks (pun intended) this is a grand album. From the laid-back country-funk of the placidly superb opener, to the more traditional guitar+voice numbers, everything here is, albeit charted territory indeed, nicely subtle and gently psyched-up - not always musically to be sure, but lyrically at least - into one of those 'unearthed gems' we sometimes drool about dreamily. Get it if you're into American folk music from the 70s. Within the limited (? - remains to be proved) scope of its genre, it's a lesser exhilarating near-masterpiece of an underdog album.

Last edited by Norman Bates on 02/24/2016 15:28; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/22/2016 23:12
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Back with a vengeance, if only for a short while - leaving town on Thursday with the kid for a holiday at Grandma's, during which music listening, let alone bookeeping, will inevitably be sparse. However, I really liked this:

I Want You by Marvin Gaye

which I only just discovered and deserves better than the obligatory "oh, I like What's Going On but can't be bothered with his other stuff". A deliciously lush production, I Want You delves into the 'sweet lovin' tonight baby' fashion Marvin is so apt at; the paradox being that you don't nearly hear enough of Marvin's voice on the record, overcrowded as it is by lovely (but repetitive) instrumentals that'd be a wonderful soundtrack to a high-end get-together by the villa's swimming-pool. You'll understand this is a lazy affair for sure, and there isn't really an album in it. However, the album that's not really in it is just wonderful, candid and, indeed, lovemaking inducing - and with this I must be off.

Have you heard Here, My Dear?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/23/2016 07:36
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

Have you heard Here, My Dear?

I have, and I seem to remember we've discussed it on this forum, but it was quite some time ago. I like it, it definitely is a very good album, but I have an issue with breakup albums insofar as they make me feel like a voyeur, or an uninvited guest. They're so close to the bone I find them a little painful to peep into.

Here, My Dear is no exception, which is why, in terms of pleasure taken listening to it, I'd rank it a little lower than other Marvin records (it was easier for me to enjoy I Want You, with the very first listen, for instance) . Of course Here, My Dear is a very good record though. I'll relisten today and come back if I feel differently.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/24/2016 14:44
  • Post subject:

Dark Rooms by Robert Gilligan

Just a quick word about this record that's not known enough and is painfully beautiful. Robert Gilligan was an Austrian singer/songwriter who released this sole album and apparently committed suicide shortly afterwards. To be honest, "singer" is stretching the concept a bit, Gilligan has a voice but can't sing in key for sh*t. However, his lo-fi, arhythmic strumming and random slide soli, combined with his anger-spitting in awkward globish English make up for a stunning and fascinating, if truly depressing, listen. I musingly started imagining Dean Blunt as some sort of heir to Gilligan - only Gilligan has no humour. At all.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/20/2016 19:13
  • Post subject:

OK so this is a fantastic compy (apparently curated by Crumb himself, from his collection of 78RPM) of tracks from the 20s-to-50s sung by women, from all over the world. Totally astounding, like listening to warm, welcoming friendly ghosts to have a drink and dance with. Sublime, and an instant favourite. All Plug.dj pals should get on this, y'all love it. In fact, everybody will love it. Favourite tracks are Leona Gabriel's "Liva" (Mexico) and Rita Abadzi's "Mime Stellis Mana Anastin Ameriki" (Greece, possibly Georgian community?, translate into "Please don't send me to America" or something - gorgeous); La Niña de los Peines (flamenco, Spain) is awesome too, thinking of you albummaster, as well as "Chants d'amour", a short a cappella number from Tahiti. Gorgeous.

Link

Hope I'll have more time for this in days to come, planning on an early retirement through Euromillion gain.
  • Visit poster's website