SLP #30: My Daddy's Dead

View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2016 01:04
  • Post subject: SLP #30: My Daddy's Dead

Playlist (will take you to browse, then wait a second and will take you to webplayer playlist):
SLP #30: My Daddy's Dead.

This playlist might be a little something for those trying to get into music before 1970, even if mostly very well known already. (sorry new music junkies).

9 years ago today my dad died 3 days after my 23rd birthday at the age of 61. He had been in a nursing home 10 years prior due to terminal illness he battled most my life. These songs remind me of him/his dad (who I never met, but "knew" through these songs).

He was a major influence on me musically and I'll be forever grateful for these gifts and memories he gave me.

1. In the Mood by Glenn Miller
2. Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt
3. Tom Dooley by The Kingston Trio
4. Mess Around by Ray Charles
5. Lonely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson
6. Ready Teddy by Little Richard
7. Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley
8. I Am a Rock by Paul Simon
9. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding
10. Maxwell's Silver Hammer by The Beatles
11. I Want You (She's So Heavy) by The Beatles
12. Let It Be by The Beatles
13. Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones
14.Done Somebody Wrong by The Allman Brothers
15. Dance to the Music by Sly and the Family Stone
16. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly
17. Riders On The Storm by The Doors
18. Song For Our Ancestors by Steve Miller Band
19. A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum
20. Slip Slidin' Away by Paul Simon
21. Mother by John Lennon
22. Quiet by Paul Simon
23. My Mummy's Dead by John Lennon

1. My grandfather was a B-17 pilot. He died a year before I was born, but somehow the big band craze in the late 90s let me find on my own Glenn Miller... I fell in love with it - it was my first box set I purchased. My father who didn't live with me was surprised and said that was my grandfather's favorite.

2. My uncle then told me about how he loved to listen to Django Reinhardt.

3. This starts the meloncholie memories of my father. He loved these types of stories, the heart jerker kind of stuff. He was a defense attorney as well, and had an attitude similar to Johnny Cash... the man in black, the protector of the underdog. He defended someone who stole F-16 engines, and he later came and helped us move our house. He even had a homeless couple come live with us for a month. Always wanted to help.

4. Not only did my father love Ray Charles, but there's a scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles that features this song... reminds us kids of him. He grew up in Florida and loved going to tent churches for the music.

5. My dad was totally to blame for my love of motown and early funk. One of the best songs from one of the founders of Motown Records. His whole life was a bittersweet motown song. I would have also put Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding here, but I'm already overboard.

6. Most of this early stuff he had on best of tapes he'd buy at truck stops between SLC and LA. As a kid, this was something I immediately got into. His attitude and style is something I have never tired of.

7. Another greatest hits artist he loved and totally shaped my childhood.

8. I probably got from my dad to not ask for help/keep to myself, and possibly this songs play on no man is an island played a roll in that. He was always ready to help others, but afraid to ask for help himself.

9. My mom says this reminds her of him. That bittersweet/meloncholy that this music does so well. He loved it as well.

10. I know a lot of people don't like this song, but my dad totally loved the silliness of the Beatles. This was something that cracked him up each time... and kind of in a sinister way. Often reminds me of him.

11. I remember him exclaiming... they couldn't figure out how to end it!

12. I remember him saying something like, they knew they were breaking up and knew it would upset so many people, but sometimes it is best to let it be. He then taught me that throughout my life... I probably am not very good at it, but he was the last to say a sharp word or correct someone. Let It Be. Later he was in so much pain, he could only... let it be.

13. This clever lyric songwriting reminds me of my dad, and he loved the Stones. As a matter of fact he was at the infamous Altamont concert.

14. My dad grew up in Jacksonville and the way this guy starts the song out (with a Jacksonville accent) totally reminds me of him. He and his syblings saw them playing for free in parks before they became famous.

15. I was a slow starter in the mornings (hard to fall asleep and hard to wake... still am)... but he found this would motivate me in the mornings and still does. He also taught me about racism from this band.

16. This song and the next remind me of long drives late at night in his 1970s cadalic.

17. When I heard this as a kid riding in the car on some of those long trips, this song literally scared me.

18. He worked in the Jacksonville harbor and blew up bridges before going to college. He was fond of the inclusion of the foghorn in this song, but also really liked early Steve Miller Band.

19. Have you ever seen a whiter shade of pale?

20. This song is probably about slipping out of love... but it reminds me of my dad's love for this era of Paul Simon as his health deteriorated.

21. I remember sitting in bed with him talking a bit about his childhood and how he hadn't talked to his mom in probably 20 years... and some kind of similarities with parental neglect/inability to be there for your kids (either due to illness or career or TV worship).

22. This song reminds me of where he now lays. Under the hills of the wasatch mountains, sage was one of his favorite smells.

23. My Daddy's Dead... 9 years today.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/03/2016 22:57
  • Post subject:
would like to apologize that I've yet to say anything about this (and against my own personal philosophy, I've about to post my own SLP without yet having given some love to all the others), but just gonna say for now I really appreciate the loving personal tone of this mix and you can expect a decent writeup in the near-kinda near future. Lovely stuff Seth
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/05/2016 01:02
  • Post subject:
Even out of context this would be a lovely playlist. I'm more partial to the first half in particular, but honestly even if I didn't like the songs it would still be a moving tribute. It's funny now whenever I hear music from the past that would have been received at the time with sunny-eyed optimism, it's always tinged with a little bit of heartache because those people aren't around anymore, which just makes it all the more beautiful. Your dad sounds like he was a good dude, and I feel like I know him a little now.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2016 05:32
  • Post subject:
Much appreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/05/2016 06:02
  • Post subject: