Nerp
77%
 77%  [41]
Total Votes : 53

AfterHours

• Posted: 12/03/2016 19:28
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I voted yes even though some others are more overrated -- Sgt Pepper is close enough.

Most overrated albums all time goes something like:

1. Revolver
2. Rubber Soul
3. White Album
4. Dark Side of the Moon
5. Ziggy Stardust
6. OK Computer
7. Kid A
8. Pet Sounds
9. Nevermind
10. Sgt Pepper
11. Abbey Rd
Etc...

All of those are at least solid-to-good-to-great albums, but are wildly over-estimated next to many other much more astonishing Rock albums/Jazz albums/Classical works -- or other major art forms.

As a note, and to avoid confusion, artists such as Radiohead and The Beatles (with their best works: OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Rd, parts of White Album, parts of Magical Mystery Tour, and songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows...) are at or close to the higher end of creativity and emotional/ conceptual depth in relation to most mainstream artists, but are at the low end in relation to the most creative and emotionally/conceptually extraordinary artists (examples such as Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, The Velvet Underground, Tim Buckley, Can, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and many others)
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2016 05:04
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

As a note, and to avoid confusion, artists such as Radiohead and The Beatles (with their best works: OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Rd, parts of White Album, parts of Magical Mystery Tour, and songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows...) are at or close to the higher end of creativity and emotional/ conceptual depth in relation to most mainstream artists, but are at the low end in relation to the most creative and emotionally/conceptually extraordinary artists (examples such as Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, The Velvet Underground, Tim Buckley, Can, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and many others)

Holy Shit... do you write for a living? You write really well. You articulate thoughts I think, but could never write them this way.

Besides that, I mostly agree (only because I'm not sure how to come to such a conclusion with any certainty) and certainly understand where you are coming from.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/04/2016 06:45
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Holy Shit... do you write for a living? You write really well. You articulate thoughts I think, but could never write them this way.

Besides that, I mostly agree (only because I'm not sure how to come to such a conclusion with any certainty) and certainly understand where you are coming from.

Thank you but nope Smile Generally speaking, most of my conclusions about art came to full fruition as I was assimilating tons of rock, jazz, classical music, films and visual art. Over time I was fielding so many questions (and, alas, some arguments!) about my choices that I guess I fine tuned my explanations more and more throughout those experiences.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2016 01:41
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Thank you but nope Smile Generally speaking, most of my conclusions about art came to full fruition as I was assimilating tons of rock, jazz, classical music, films and visual art. Over time I was fielding so many questions (and, alas, some arguments!) about my choices that I guess I fine tuned my explanations more and more throughout those experiences.

Makes sense- it's already in draft #23 by the time you've written it kind of thing. My opinions change too much for that Sad
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/06/2016 04:52
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Makes sense- it's already in draft #23 by the time you've written it kind of thing. My opinions change too much for that Sad

Re: Draft #23 ... Yeah, something like that Smile My opinions on a work tend to fluctuate at first (sometimes a lot, sometimes a little) before settling into a more stable rating. Having a well defined criteria has helped an awful lot with ratings/rankings and in speeding up that process of deciding -- particularly since it is based on the fundamental purposes of art (or at least the art I care about), and all-embracive regardless of art form, and thus limits those little arguments with myself when I rate/rank.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2016 05:53
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
[q uote="AfterHours"]

Re: Draft #23 ... Yeah, something like that Smile My opinions on a work tend to fluctuate at first (sometimes a lot, sometimes a little) before settling into a more stable rating. Having a well defined criteria has helped an awful lot with ratings/rankings and in speeding up that process of deciding -- particularly since it is based on the fundamental purposes of art (or at least the art I care about), and all-embracive regardless of art form, and thus limits those little arguments with myself when I rate/rank.[/quote]

Defining an Aesthetic you can agree with... was that hard? Has a year gone by and it not change?

Just curious because mine is almost ever changing and your structure is envied... haahaha.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/07/2016 07:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:

Defining an Aesthetic you can agree with... was that hard? Has a year gone by and it not change?

Just curious because mine is almost ever changing and your structure is envied... haahaha.

I think I'll always favor works with greater ingenuity and emotional/conceptual depth. Since getting into Classical music as a teenager and realizing there was music striving for so much more than what I'd been listening to (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Radiohead, etc), that's what I've yearned for. It would be a few more years before I found out that Rock too had such works -- they were just not that popular/well known. And then Jazz followed suit for me too.

So for a long time I've FELT my criteria/preferred aesthetic, and I usually knew it when I heard it/saw it, but it did take me a little bit to articulate it succinctly.

Along with that it has been looking for and assimilating lots of art that meets my criteria/aesthetic. The uniform ratings were worked out over trial and error. But the main thing I recommend is, once one has stated his/her criteria, whether it be the same or similar to mine or completely different, he/she then decides what is the ideal/very best artistic example of that ever created. For me that is probably Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel or Beethoven's 9th or possibly Mahler's 9th. Then one can work his ratings back, point by point from there and figure out a precise listing that has an evident logic to it. Such as: "If Sistine Chapel is a 10/10 (or in my case 9.6 or 9.7/10), then what's just a mini notch below that?" Let's say its Verdi's Requiem and Bach's Mass in B Minor and perhaps Wagner's Tristan and Isolde. "OK, that's 9.5". As one works this out from the top down, it establishes very firm points of comparison one can use in determining future ratings, which also reinforces one's certainty of one's criteria and gets one better and better at recognizing and applying it.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/07/2016 20:58
  • Post subject:
Btw, not meant to be interpreted that I arrived at my conclusions lightly or without extensive evaluation. I've listened to Beethoven's 9th countless times and evaluated the emotional/conceptual nuances of its movements and parts thoroughly to conclude its rating/ranking -- which has always been high but has also fluctuated quite bit in that high range. Same goes for the Sistine Chapel or Mahler's 9th or any of my rated selections (to varying degrees depending on how new and familiar they are to me).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2016 05:03
  • Post subject:
[quote="AfterHours"]
Quote:

So for a long time I've FELT my criteria/preferred aesthetic, and I usually knew it when I heard it/saw it, but it did take me a little bit to articulate it succinctly.

Fair enough... makes sense.

I suppose my aesthetic can be pluralistic, which makes it hard for me to be final with it and therefore difficult to reach a final destination with it. Having said that, I think I could say what my main aesthetic is, and could more or less say its been the same main thread, with other strings attached ever since I was a kid and fell in love with music.

And I didn't think it was a quick decision.
  • Visit poster's website