"Yes in a dream all my teeth fell out, A cracked smile and a silent shout"

- The Knife
 
2009 vs 2010? 2009 wins hands down.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll: Which was the better year in music?
2009
22%
 22%  [4]
2010
66%
 66%  [12]
Prefer neither/ Too evenly matched
11%
 11%  [2]
Total Votes : 18

Author Message

Wombi





#11 | Posted: 11/23/2010 00:11 | Post subject: Reply with quote
@shankly AND outlaw I don't understand, what is wrong with saying 'In My Opinion'?
Back to top

thomas697



Gender: Male
Location: Melbourne
Australia

#12 | Posted: 11/23/2010 00:59 | Post subject: Reply with quote
The theory that is a site where you come on solely tell people your opinion, therefore you dont need to remind people that it is in fact your opinon.

I disagree with this for two reasons.

1. Sometimes its polite and saying "In my opinion" infers you arent imposing on someone elses point of view

2. After making a strong claim it can seem like you are making a point for an entire of group of people, so it helps to remind people you arent a dick by saying "In my opinon"

these two points are similar, but I think its important to remember them before telling someone that saying "In my opinion" is pointless

Of course, this is just my opinion
_________________
Having a family is the kind of thing that could be held against a person
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Wombi





#13 | Posted: 11/23/2010 03:56 | Post subject: Reply with quote
thomas697 wrote:
Of course, this is just my opinion


Laughing Laughing Laughing

but I agree with you 100%
Back to top

Freddie55



Gender: Male
Location: Toronto, ON
Canada

#14 | Posted: 11/23/2010 04:05 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm?

Dragonslayer - Sunset Rubdown
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Muse - The Resistance
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
The Mars Volta - Octahedron
vs.
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
The National - High Violet
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
New Pornographers - Together
John Grant - Queen of Denmark

It's close but the win goes to 2010 Smile
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Mr. Shankly



Gender: Male
Age: 47
Location: Guatemala City
United States

#15 | Posted: 11/23/2010 06:29 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Jhereko wrote:
@shankly AND outlaw I don't understand, what is wrong with saying 'In My Opinion'?


My little dig at Outlaw had nothing to do with that. It was more to do with the fact that he was doing a poll and telling us what the "correct" answer is ahead of time right in the title of the thread. it'd be a bit like taking a poll and saying, "So 9 out of 10 people disapprove of the president's job, and by the way so do I. It's very clear he's doing a terrible job. What do you think?" (Before this becomes political, that's not my intent. It's just the best analogy I can come up with right now).

As to the mention of "in my opinion," I may have mentioned that on a previous thread. There are two reasons I don't like that expression:

1) It's stating the obvious.
2) It's bad writing and makes you sound wishy-washy. Part of this has do with my English literature and teaching background. For example, in a persuasive essay, you never use that phrase, you state your thesis like a fact and then build a strong argument around it. I know posting on a forum like this is not academic writing, but how many music reviews do you read that use the phrase, "in my opinion?" But don't worry. I'm not planning on being the semantics police, I'm just giving you an explanation.

Anyways in response to Thomas 697, politeness is overrated when it comes to expressing oneself. People are way too hung up on political correctness nowadays. Just say what you think and don't quantify it. As long as you're not making it personal, it shouldn't be offensive to anybody.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Wombi





#16 | Posted: 11/23/2010 06:48 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Shankly wrote:
posting on a forum like this is not academic writing


yeppers
Back to top

thomas697



Gender: Male
Location: Melbourne
Australia

#17 | Posted: 11/23/2010 09:31 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
@shankly AND outlaw I don't understand, what is wrong with saying 'In My Opinion'?


My little dig at Outlaw had nothing to do with that. It was more to do with the fact that he was doing a poll and telling us what the "correct" answer is ahead of time right in the title of the thread. it'd be a bit like taking a poll and saying, "So 9 out of 10 people disapprove of the president's job, and by the way so do I. It's very clear he's doing a terrible job. What do you think?" (Before this becomes political, that's not my intent. It's just the best analogy I can come up with right now).

As to the mention of "in my opinion," I may have mentioned that on a previous thread. There are two reasons I don't like that expression:

1) It's stating the obvious.
2) It's bad writing and makes you sound wishy-washy. Part of this has do with my English literature and teaching background. For example, in a persuasive essay, you never use that phrase, you state your thesis like a fact and then build a strong argument around it. I know posting on a forum like this is not academic writing, but how many music reviews do you read that use the phrase, "in my opinion?" But don't worry. I'm not planning on being the semantics police, I'm just giving you an explanation.

Anyways in response to Thomas 697, politeness is overrated when it comes to expressing oneself. People are way too hung up on political correctness nowadays. Just say what you think and don't quantify it. As long as you're not making it personal, it shouldn't be offensive to anybody.


I really dont care about political correctness, I just know that I take my opinions seriously and that I need to be aware they are mine and others don't necessarily agree with them. I fight for my opinions and I usually agree with them (if not im obviously having a bad day) When someone says, Radiohead or The Beatles or Any band is shit and no one should listen to them and that you have no taste in music if you like these bands, and liking these bands makes you a jerk off <-- this kind of person needs to be reminded it is just their opinion and shouldnt they shouldnt get carried away with it. By reminding people of this, and doing it yourself you can sometimes help them or yourself keep your credibility.

I agree that it shouldnt be said all the time and that over use is wishy washy, but every now and then signing off with it after a long rant is never a bad thing
_________________
Having a family is the kind of thing that could be held against a person
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Mr. Shankly



Gender: Male
Age: 47
Location: Guatemala City
United States

#18 | Posted: 11/23/2010 12:54 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
When someone says, Radiohead or The Beatles or Any band is shit and no one should listen to them and that you have no taste in music if you like these bands, and liking these bands makes you a jerk off <-- this kind of person needs to be reminded it is just their opinion and shouldnt they shouldnt get carried away with it.


Well, that statement goes beyond opinion, since the second part of that is actually a personal attack. I classify that differently. Personal attacks are almost always uncalled for and impolite to say the least. As for making a statement like, "Radiohead is shit," my immediate response is, "Why do think that? Explain yourself. Back that statement up." It's amazing how many people can not do this very well or are intellectually lazy, by the way (I mean this in general. I'm not attacking you). I'm not interested in opinion for opinion's sake. It's fine to have an opinion, but I expect that some thought went into that opinion. Otherwise, it's pretty worthless. I bet we might agree on that point. Anyway, this issue is not that big a deal to me. I was originally just trying to answer Jhereko's question.

Back on topic: I am embarrassed to say, I don't have a horse in this race. I haven't bought that many albums or been paying that close attention to that many albums the last couple of years. I just thought the title of the thread was amusing for the reason I explained above.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister and ClassicalMaster


Gender: Male
Location: Rocky Mountain High
United States

#19 | Posted: 12/22/2016 19:58 | Post subject: Reply with quote
There are more albums I like from 2010,, but the ones I like the most are from 2009. I had to call it a draw.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. 2009 albums Mr.Music Music 62 04/04/2010 00:13 View latest post
videoheadcleaner
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Chart of the day (#2009): By apeiron albummaster Music 0 04/18/2017 08:00 View latest post
albummaster
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Best 2009 Albums-One Year Later Applerill Music 5 12/29/2010 04:51 View latest post
Elston
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. [ Poll ] BYT - G7 - 1969 (goodsir) v 2009 (nech) Defago Games 10 06/23/2015 03:20 View latest post
Guest
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. [ Poll ] BYT - G7 - 1985 (Borejko) vs 2009 (Ne... sp4cetiger Games 1 07/01/2015 02:23 View latest post
Guest

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2019 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map