• Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
craola wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
craola wrote:

Nay

One

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

what's to like about it? i find it quite boring. and if you've heard it live, i think the band agrees.

It's quite boring, but I think it's solid, basic songwriting at its best. The production on U2's version is pretty bad, has this kind of sleezy, easy-listening vibe. I know I'm a massive R.E.M. zealot, but I think Michael Stipe really brings out the best in the song, he gives it that sincerity it needs.

Link

Ironically the guys from U2 here look like they couldn't care less about being on stage.

This version does make my fanboi me smile big... two of my favorite bands mashed up. Funny though, the guitarist here is actually the bassist for R.E.M.

I mostly agree the production is pretty bad. A LOT of great U2 songs are ruined by production. This song in particular I as a U2 fan absolutely hated when I first heard it on the record. I then listened to it live and actually fell for it to be a pretty good song... then I heard the alternate acoustic version of the song and shit myself. When I went through a deep depression, this song reminded me of what maybe people wish they could've said to me. It really is a great song, but production made it this terrible, terrible sappfest of a song.

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
joedec

United States
  • Posted: 03/03/2017 18:46
  • Post subject:
U2's magnum opus
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States
  • Posted: 03/07/2017 22:13
  • Post subject:
TheHutts wrote:
I think lots of albums from the early CD era suffer from being too long, and Achtung Baby is an example.

"early" cd era? The CD was first released in 1982 and by the early-to-mid 2000s peer-to-peer apps began to destroy sales.
  • Visit poster's website
TheHutts

New Zealand
  • Posted: 03/07/2017 22:30
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
I think lots of albums from the early CD era suffer from being too long, and Achtung Baby is an example.

"early" cd era? The CD was first released in 1982 and by the early-to-mid 2000s peer-to-peer apps began to destroy sales.

I didn't phrase that very well, but it feels like around 1990 is the point where CDs became the dominant format and album lengths increased to reflect this. Out of the BEA Top Ten for 1991, Achtung Baby, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Metallica, Ten, and Screamadelica are all over 52 minute normal maximum length for an LP.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer
  • Posted: 03/08/2017 23:27
  • Post subject:
TheHutts wrote:
paladisiac wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I didn't phrase that very well, but it feels like around 1990 is the point where CDs became the dominant format and album lengths increased to reflect this. Out of the BEA Top Ten for 1991, Achtung Baby, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Metallica, Ten, and Screamadelica are all over 52 minute normal maximum length for an LP.

This absolutely true, there is a huge chunk of overlong albums from the begining of the 90's.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website