View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2017 13:48
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Doesn't do anything to 'wow',. ..

And therein lies the rub. Granted, music doesn't have to 'wow' to be great, but if any genre should 'wow,' it's jazz--especially improvisational jazz.

There are a good many albums that reflect all those characteristics you appreciate-and have the 'wow' factor in addition.
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 04/04/2017 14:00
  • Post subject:
I think many of the jazz heavy weights suffer for their prodigious disographys. The likes of Rollins, Mingus, Sun Ra and Bill Evans to name a few seem to have had only a handful of their albums widely listened too. ( And yes I'm a bit if a culprit myself but trying to catch up!). The Real Gone Jazz multi packs are a great place to savour a generous slice of output if you can put up with albums being split over seperate cds. Found "East Coasting" on one of the Mingus multipacks and it's a brilliant piece of music better than Pi (etc) Erectus even. Like the aforementioned "Mingus Dynasty" though it seems to have fallen on largely deaf ears thusfar. I suspect there's dozens of albums like that out there in a similiar boat.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2017 14:04
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
I think many of the jazz heavy weights suffer for their prodigious disographys. The likes of Rollins, Mingus, Sun Ra and Bill Evans to name a few seem to have had only a handful of their albums widely listened too. ( And yes I'm a bit if a culprit myself but trying to catch up!). The Real Gone Jazz multi packs are a great place to savour a generous slice of output if you can put up with albums being split over seperate cds. Found "East Coasting" on one of the Mingus multipacks and it's a brilliant piece of music better than Pi (etc) Erectus even. Like the aforementioned "Mingus Dynasty" though it seems to have fallen on largely deaf ears thusfar. I suspect there's dozens of albums like that out there in a similiar boat.

I agree completely. Most of the prolific greats have hidden gems.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2017 23:49
  • Post subject:
I'm not a fan of jazz. Like I was in jazz band in high school and I liked playing it more or less (both double bass and electric). But somehow most jazz is a bit too much for me - I don't know how to explain it. It's like this beast you can't control. This whole organized music thing is no more (more or less). And that's what makes it great, right? What's funny is jam bands like Phish or Grateful Dead... I dig... so I don't get why the jazz is hard for me.

This album though - there's obvious melodies and flow. The bass is fantastic. It's easy listening for me (and not in the genre since... meaning it is easy for me to listen to it... it's not a chore). I probably only really can get into 5 to 10 jazz albums, and this is definitely in the top 5.
  • Visit poster's website