Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Why

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/23/2017 12:06
  • Post subject: Re: Kid A by Radiohead Is Secretly A Double Album: Here's Wh
craola wrote:
And for the record, Amnesiac is the better album.

Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 05/23/2017 20:14
craola wrote:
1. Leaving off Life In A Glasshouse is a huge mistake.

Isn't it the only Amnesiac track that was recorded after Kid A's release? So it would probably never have been on the double album that Radiohead was considering?

Agreed with the rest btw (including on Amnesiac being the better album, not much difference between the two though). It's fun to piece together the album that could have been but ultimately Kid A and Amnesiac are great enough on their own. I personally think all of the material from 2000 to 2001 is great and worth listening to (perhaps a more interesting idea would be to add Amnesiac's B-sides to the album).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 21:00
Facetious wrote:
(perhaps a more interesting idea would be to add Amnesiac's B-sides to the album).

ಠ‿ಠ

those are the greatest b-sides ever. they could've released 'em as another album (and mixed in a few that ended up on the too long httt)...

2000 kda
2001 amnsc
2002 !??!??
2003 httt

throw i will, the gloaming, bcksldng and wolfy doors to the !??!?? and bam. four perfect albums in four not-soperfect years.

ETA: sorry to those of you who hate talking about radiohead, but you guys aren't moving any other topics forward, so you can suck it.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2017 02:29
  • Post subject:
Craola wins the internet.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 05/24/2017 23:08
  • Post subject:
Seriously?!

Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded during the same sessions (excluding "Life In A Glass House"), but I don't think they sound anything like each other. The former is an expansion of the electronic sounds from OK Computer while the latter is a more dark and moody version of The Bends. For example, while they're both amazing songs, can anyone actually picture "Optimistic" and "Pyramid Song" being on the same album?

Also, I'm sorry, but Kid A is the better album, and I'd prefer if it wasn't bogged down by mediocre songs like "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors", "Hunting Bears", "Dollars & Cents", or an inferior version of "Morning Bell". These 4 songs are the main reason why I will never rank Amnesiac as high as The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows, or A Moon Shaped Pool.

Please don't get the wrong idea here. I still do love Amnesiac. "Packt Like Sardines...", "Pyramid Song", "You And Whose Army?", "I Might Be Wrong", "Like Spinning Plates", and "Life In A Glasshouse" are among my favourite Radiohead songs. But Kid A might be my favourite album ever recorded, and I'd prefer if Radiohead didn't make any double albums. Even the 14-track Hail To The Thief kind of overstays its welcome.

Last edited by LordMark on 05/25/2017 01:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2017 23:33
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:
Also, I'm sorry, but Kid A is the better album, and I'd prefer if it wasn't bogged down by mediocre songs like "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors", "Hunting Bears", "Dollars & Cents", or an inferior version of "Morning Bell". These 4 songs are the main reason why I will never rank Amnesiac as high as The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows, or A Moon Shaped Pool.

Dollars & Cents is legit. I don't know what you're smoking. The rest? An awesome Boards of Canada styled version of True Love Waits, a rehash a track Radiohead felt they screwed up the first time (the Kid A version hurts) and a Brian Eno cover. I don't see the problem. Those are all incredible tracks.

To each their own, I suppose. I like Radiohead best when they mix in some of their weird side.
Greendonut227

Japan

• Posted: 05/25/2017 12:56
I like the theory you have them. Personally, I find Kid A and Amnesiac to be different perspectives or outlooks on a certain situation.
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 05/26/2017 06:31
  • Post subject:
how is HTTT too long? it's not much longer than OKC at all. every single person has a different few tracks that they'd like to remove from HTTT. I've never heard the same suggestion in regards to the changes that "should" be made to HTTT, which to me proves that they're all ridiculous. I think ppl are just kind of disappointed that the band didn't continue to evolve the way they've been, but instead found an excellent medium between Amnesiac and their earlier sounds.

and maybe a bit off topic but I have to say that king of limbs and amok are excellent and don't get the love they deserve.
  • Visit poster's website