stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 07/08/2017 14:01
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
How about this: Peter Wolf - Sleepless

ranked 432 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums
ranked 22,919 here

Rolling Stone had a thing for Peter Wolf which seemed to be peculiar to them. I remember "Lights Out" which is about 31,000 on BEA receiving a 4 1/2 star review which as few as 3 or 4 albums a year would get at that time. I don't recall him being championed elsewhere in the musical press though and he charted poorly to boot so not too much of a surprise the ex J Giels Band singer is a bit of an obscurity here.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2017 08:06
  • Post subject:
stangetzaway wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
How about this: Peter Wolf - Sleepless

ranked 432 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums
ranked 22,919 here

Rolling Stone had a thing for Peter Wolf which seemed to be peculiar to them. I remember "Lights Out" which is about 31,000 on BEA receiving a 4 1/2 star review which as few as 3 or 4 albums a year would get at that time. I don't recall him being championed elsewhere in the musical press though and he charted poorly to boot so not too much of a surprise the ex J Giels Band singer is a bit of an obscurity here.

Maybe he was friends with the editors or something. Lol.
  • Visit poster's website
murmur

• Posted: 07/09/2017 19:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Tons of acclaimed Jazz albums are very underrated on this site, which is too Rock-centric to get a more balanced list. The idea that Jazz, which features composers and musicians at the very least the equal of the most accomplished in Rock, has virtually no masterpieces in its history (if one goes by the BEA overall chart) aside from its token entry (such as Kind of Blue) and maybe one or two others, is logically a bit dubious. Though I also understand the chart is basically a popularity contest so from that perspective it is "logical".

At least jazz gets some token picks in the top hundred or so! Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (both versions), which I think constitute two of the most popular classical music recordings of all time, are way down in the thousands (the latter set is ranked in the low 18,000s!!!!). I mean, granted, Bach was no Arctic Monkeys, so I can only really see him being ranked in maybe the Top 500 if we're being generous. Wink

I decided to go ahead and search for each of RYM's top 10 classical albums and compare their rankings there (pretty horrendous) with the ones here. RYM on the left, BEA on the right.

Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9 Symphonies (Beethoven, 1963) #227, #11,118
Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9th Symphony (Beethoven, 1963) #305, #4,703
Artur Rubinstein - Nocturnes (Chopin, 1967) #354, #8,491
Wiener Phil/Kleiber - 5th Symphony (Beethoven, 1975) #450, #9,754
Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations (Bach, 1982) #464, #18,092
Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations (Bach, 1956) #515, #2,299*
John Williams - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Williams, 1980) #542, #8,857
Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9th Symphony "Choral" (Beethoven, 1986) #544, #7,098
John Williams - Star Wars (Williams, 1977) #547, #4,674
London Sinfonietta/Zinman, Dawn Upshaw - Symphony No. 3 (Gorecki, 1992) #549, #4,123**

*this is the only instance of BEA being comparatively correct - Gould's 1956 Goldbergs are obviously the superior version and that recording is the best of this lot. i just wish it was ranked at least 2,000 places lower (higher? i'm saying towards #1)

**how is this the token modern piece??

I'm pretty appalled that there's a consensus that TWO Star Wars film scores are better than the Mass in B minor, but I'm also a tin-eared moron, so hey.

Going through the overall chart, it's pretty mind-boggling that so many rockists prefer Kind of Blue by such a country mile to A Love Supreme and Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, both of which are much more engrossing (and better...) entry-level jazz releases.

As a closing remark, I'd be down to trade shifts with AfterHours clicking through hundreds of pages to figure out what BEA's top ranked classical recording is. I got tired clicking through, which is why I opted for the RYM comparison, since you can collapse their charts by genre.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2017 20:05
  • Post subject:
There's no sense in consensus. One too many e's.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/10/2017 06:08
  • Post subject:
murmur wrote:
At least jazz gets some token picks in the top hundred or so! Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (both versions), which I think constitute two of the most popular classical music recordings of all time, are way down in the thousands (the latter set is ranked in the low 18,000s!!!!). I mean, granted, Bach was no Arctic Monkeys, so I can only really see him being ranked in maybe the Top 500 if we're being generous. Wink

Yes, Bach was certainly no Arctic Monkeys (Thank Bach!) d'oh! But in all fairness people don't generally think of Classical works as "albums" (not that they'd get a ton of votes on this site anyway).

murmur wrote:
I decided to go ahead and search for each of RYM's top 10 classical albums and compare their rankings there (pretty horrendous) with the ones here. RYM on the left, BEA on the right.

Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9 Symphonies (Beethoven, 1963) #227, #11,118
Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9th Symphony (Beethoven, 1963) #305, #4,703
Artur Rubinstein - Nocturnes (Chopin, 1967) #354, #8,491
Wiener Phil/Kleiber - 5th Symphony (Beethoven, 1975) #450, #9,754
Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations (Bach, 1982) #464, #18,092
Glenn Gould - The Goldberg Variations (Bach, 1956) #515, #2,299*
John Williams - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Williams, 1980) #542, #8,857
Berlin Phil/Karajan - 9th Symphony "Choral" (Beethoven, 1986) #544, #7,098
John Williams - Star Wars (Williams, 1977) #547, #4,674
London Sinfonietta/Zinman, Dawn Upshaw - Symphony No. 3 (Gorecki, 1992) #549, #4,123**

*this is the only instance of BEA being comparatively correct - Gould's 1956 Goldbergs are obviously the superior version and that recording is the best of this lot. i just wish it was ranked at least 2,000 places lower (higher? i'm saying towards #1)

**how is this the token modern piece??

Re: Gorecki's 3rd ... It's a very moving requiem, umm, I mean symphony. That's the best recording too, so good to see.

murmur wrote:
I'm pretty appalled that there's a consensus that TWO Star Wars film scores are better than the Mass in B minor, but I'm also a tin-eared moron, so hey.

Good to know that the Star Wars action figures were enough to make its sound track more relevant than the Mass in B Minor. Hadn't thought of that. Also, interesting to see it ranked so far above Dvorak's 9th Symphony which heavily influenced Williams' score.

murmur wrote:
Going through the overall chart, it's pretty mind-boggling that so many rockists prefer Kind of Blue by such a country mile to A Love Supreme and Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, both of which are much more engrossing (and better...) entry-level jazz releases.

Well, Kind of Blue is far superior to most of the "Rock" top 100 so I'll take it. But yes, Black Saint and A Love Supreme are supreme masterpieces of an order that very very few artists approach.

murmur wrote:
As a closing remark, I'd be down to trade shifts with AfterHours clicking through hundreds of pages to figure out what BEA's top ranked classical recording is. I got tired clicking through, which is why I opted for the RYM comparison, since you can collapse their charts by genre.

God no, please. I think I've looked at the Overall Chart a grand total of 3 times in the last 10 years, so in all honesty, I don't really care, even if I pretend like I do to make a point from time to time.
  • Visit poster's website