Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 00:19
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
20% seems awfully high. The most recent numbers I can find are from Nielsen in 2010, saying that 75,000 music releases were released that year. This likely does not include a large number of independent releases. But even just going by that, that would mean there are 15,000 things that are of interest. I feel like I'm probably between 0.5% and 0.6%, and it's still a feast. It's more than one for every day of the year, and I will probably never get around to some of them.

Oh for sure... I guess I was saying of the music I sample, only 20 to 30% of it is any good.

For me unfortunately, that's low enough for me to be demotivated to find new music, especially since my local scene does enough for me in that regard.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 00:26
  • Post subject:
What I love about the internets, is having such a resource of great music.

If it were still 1997... I'd probably still only really own about 200 albums and those 200 albums would probably only be what I listened to beyond radio. I would have maybe listened to 5 or so ALBUMS in their entirety for the year releases, and then of course many more singles.

I wouldn't have listened to the 1500 or so albums and then created my top 100 list... I wouldn't be on this site. And for this I'm extremely grateful for "the internet". Especially sites like this, or I hate to say it, 15 years ago, Rolling Stone. At the very least it was more straight forward.

idk... just glad I don't have to sort through so much music and have "sources" to sift through it for me, even if i don't agree and know I'm totally missing out of some great stuff friends will show me.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 01:11
  • Post subject:
That is the true magic of the internet. Appealing to our itches. And in all honesty don't care about what is the hottest thing in music. Sometimes the biggest thing that hits you probably is in the 70's range on sites like Metacritic. Even when I don't agree to it or idealize it
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 05:13
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
That is the true magic of the internet. Appealing to our itches. And in all honesty don't care about what is the hottest thing in music. Sometimes the biggest thing that hits you probably is in the 70's range on sites like Metacritic. Even when I don't agree to it or idealize it

Yeah -it's tough finding that great catch with a low ranking or score, but when you do...

I just wish there was a way to find those great catches faster.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 14:18
  • Post subject:
Honestly, we wont get it faster until the internet knows us individually. And when that happens we lose. But on albums that were in the 70's range but I enjoy immensely were Jamiroquai's Automaton, Disclosure's Caracal and The Orbs Moonbuilding 2703 A.D. And those records got a 71,73 and 75 respectfully.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 07/16/2017 14:21
  • Post subject:
At some point you listen to enough albums where you can cover your spectrum of moods quite easily and know what you enjoy at almost every moment. I don't have the issue presented in the opening post anymore, but it used to be one I would sort of deal with. Mainly because I didn't have the experience I do now with the amount of albums I do.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 15:01
  • Post subject:
@Temporary33
That is true, So far I have reached to listen to almost 100 albums as of now. And I am in my early 20's. Give it a decade, I will be able to tell what I like as well as what I don't like.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 22:30
  • Post subject:
For me it is the opposite - it's like - I already have 500 albums I could listen to over and over and over again and likely not be bored of them because they are so good.

I really, therefore, don't have the patience to go through 500 shit albums to find one more good one to add to my 501... so yeah, it's like classic training/pavlovs dog... if after 300 shit albums... you kind of don't go back for more.

Which is wrong and sucks... so I want to go through 10 shit albums instead so I don't get demotivated.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2017 23:28
  • Post subject:
Honestly, if I was listening to albums I don't care for I move on. If the cover of the album interest me, I'll let it hang. Sometimes I just let it go by taste and if I like or love it I take it. Don't get drained by bad music. Or keep on listening to music if you don't feel good.
  • Visit poster's website