cannot create user-only chart which excludes pro charts

View previous topic :: View next topic
ChromeAce

• Posted: 02/17/2009 01:35
  • Post subject: cannot create user-only chart which excludes pro charts
I tried creating a custom over-all chart by unchecking all of the professional charts but the site says a chart cannot be generated.

I am trying to see a chart of all user-submitted albums which don't appear in the pro charts.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2009 08:33
  • Post subject:
this functionality doesn't exist at the moment, we'll add it to the list for a future site-update. Though, tbh, I'm not sure how valuable this information would be since there are 800 charts and only about 20 professional lists.

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
ChromeAce

• Posted: 02/17/2009 16:59
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
this functionality doesn't exist at the moment, we'll add it to the list for a future site-update. Though, tbh, I'm not sure how valuable this information would be since there are 800 charts and only about 20 professional lists.

albummaster

The reason I would like to see a list of all albums not included in the pro charts is so I can see what great albums all the pros neglected which your users found worthy. It is interesting to note, for example, that all the pro charts left out the band Phish, for example.

Another reason is because in my iTunes collection I tag all the album labels with their respective pro chart rankings. And now I would like to tag all the other albums that are highly rated by the top users. That way I can generate playlists of music that include top-rated pro and amateur albums with tags that show me why they're recommended and what their rankings are. Of course the pro rankings are static (they don't change) and the user rankings are dynamic, so I want to keep them separate.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2009 17:37
  • Post subject:
No problem ChromeAce, sounds very valid. It's weird, about a month ago we had a request to not include member lists (which we implemented quite recently) and now we have a request to include them again, so we'll find a way of putting them back without disrupting the existing functionality

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
ChromeAce

• Posted: 02/17/2009 18:22
  • Post subject:
It's very simple, really. When a user goes to customize the overall chart, there is an option for "Only include music albums that appear in at least" which allows you to select a number from 1 to 12 of the above pro charts. You can deselect all the pro charts, but you cannot enter 0 in this box, which is what makes the list not work, because those 2 features then conflict with each other. Simply allowing one to select 0 in that box should solve the problem.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/17/2009 19:23
  • Post subject:
it's actually a bit more complicated than that to implement as the rank scores in that section of the site are only calculated from the recognised lists so if you select zero charts, you will have a list of 4000 albums including such gems as Madonna and Rick Astley in a completely unordered sequence. To implement this functionality properly will take a bit more work than what you are suggesting (but is on the list.)

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/02/2009 09:28
  • Post subject:
ChromeAce, we've incorporated your suggestion into this month's site update. You were right, some interesting albums....

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
ChromeAce

• Posted: 04/02/2009 19:55
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
ChromeAce, we've incorporated your suggestion into this month's site update. You were right, some interesting albums....

albummaster

Thanks! I'm gonna go check it out now...
  • Visit poster's website