RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 17:10
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...p;start=10

I started that thread a long time ago - similar, but like how this one is more specific.

I suppose I'll talk about In Rainbows eargasms in specificity.

1) Reckoner - each time a new thing happens I have a new eargasm. When the beats start I have one. When the guitar comes in I have one and when the vocals smoothly lay over them I have one, and then again at the breakdown when the bass is a little more prevalent. Eargasms all over that song for me.

2) The next one is Nude - when he beautifully sings "Don't get any big ideas cause their not going to happen"

3) The energy of the whole album, but specifically the opening track. That beat and the "hey" and thoms vocals. It made me giddy like a little school girl when I first listened to that song and more or less does every time I start that record.

Applause Great examples. Probably my 3 fav tracks on that album. I always thought the opening to 15 Step was a great musical joke but I've never heard anyone mention this. I mean, it begins with this cold, jittery drum machine and I'm thinking "oh right, this again" then the base and guitar come in and it's totally organic, completely defying my expectations at that point of the song (and their career). Then, I've always thought that Thom mimics some of his critics on the opening line: "You used to be alright, what happened?" I love that moment. Might just be my own interpretation but I think they are toying with the listener in a fun way at this point. This was heightened for me by the way the album was released in an unexpected and original way.

Wow, well said.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 17:35
  • Post subject:
Thought I'd give a couple more. Basically the same kind of mind-expanding sounds that helped me discover other forms of music.

2:44 to 3:16

Link

First verse through First Chorus

Link

0:00 to 1:05

Link

The Whole Damn Song, every member of Wu is so on point here.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 09/11/2017 19:02
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...p;start=10

I started that thread a long time ago - similar, but like how this one is more specific.

I suppose I'll talk about In Rainbows eargasms in specificity.

1) Reckoner - each time a new thing happens I have a new eargasm. When the beats start I have one. When the guitar comes in I have one and when the vocals smoothly lay over them I have one, and then again at the breakdown when the bass is a little more prevalent. Eargasms all over that song for me.

2) The next one is Nude - when he beautifully sings "Don't get any big ideas cause their not going to happen"

3) The energy of the whole album, but specifically the opening track. That beat and the "hey" and thoms vocals. It made me giddy like a little school girl when I first listened to that song and more or less does every time I start that record.

That part in Reckoner when he sings "Because we separate/Like ripples on a blank shore" is perfect.
Also on Nude my absolute favourite moment is Thom's voice "You'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thinking"

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website