worst cover version you ever heard in your life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 10/16/2017 08:19
  • Post subject:
It really hurts me, every time I hear it (because it is my favorite band)

Sparks - I want to hold your hand.

Last edited by Liedzeit on 10/16/2017 08:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 08:33
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
It really hurts me, every time I here it (because it is my favorite band)

Sparks - I want to hold your hand.

Ouch.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 08:44
  • Post subject:
Here's an unusual case. Is it possible for a artist to do a cover of their own song? Or would it be called something else?
Case in point. One of my favorite writers and musicians is Carole King. But in 1980 she recorded her own song The Locomotion, a great song which is actually the only song in history to be a Number One hit three separate times. By Grand Funk Railroad, Kylie Minogue, and Little Eva. But Carole King's version is absolutely painful for me to listen to. She didn't like recording her own oldies and it shows. It's the worst cover version I've ever heard.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 10/16/2017 09:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Is it possible for a artist to do a cover of their own song?

I think there are lots of examples. Paul Anka’s My Way and Neil Diamond’s I’m a Believer come to mind. Both are not really bad but do not come close to the "originals". But I am not completely sure they recorded their versions after Sinatra/Monkees.

I thought that Albert Hammond wrote a couple of hits for others, The Air that I breath, When I need you. Turns out he recorded them first. But they do sound like bad covers.

And to get back to Sparks. They did a record with cover versions of their own songs. Some of them I prefer to the originals. E.g. Change and No. 1 Song in Heaven

Plagiarism by Sparks
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2017 09:40
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible for a artist to do a cover of their own song?

I think there are lots of examples. Paul Anka’s My Way and Neil Diamond’s I’m a Believer come to mind. Both are not really bad but do not come close to the "originals". But I am not completely sure they recorded their versions after Sinatra/Monkees.

I thought that Albert Hammond wrote a couple of hits for others, The Air that I breath, When I need you. Turns out he recorded them first. But they do sound like bad covers.

And to get back to Sparks. They did a record with cover versions of their own songs. Some of them I prefer to the originals. E.g. Change and No. 1 Song in Heaven

Plagiarism by Sparks

Actually you're right. There are lots of examples. And now that I think about it, it wasn't the first time she covered her own songs. A Natural Woman was recorded by Aretha Franklin first, and Goin Back was recorded by The Byrds before she recorded it. But those covers turned out fantastically. And the Beatles recorded Chains long before she did. If I thought about it there's probably tons of artists who covered their own songs. I can think of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell right now and I'm sure there is a lot more.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:26
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Actually you're right. There are lots of examples. And now that I think about it, it wasn't the first time she covered her own songs. A Natural Woman was recorded by Aretha Franklin first, and Goin Back was recorded by The Byrds before she recorded it. But those covers turned out fantastically. And the Beatles recorded Chains long before she did. If I thought about it there's probably tons of artists who covered their own songs. I can think of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell right now and I'm sure there is a lot more.

You should make a new thread for songs recorded more than once by a same artist (I think of West End Girls)
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:42
  • Post subject:
Under The Bridge by All Saints. Insipid!
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/16/2017 11:44
  • Post subject:
Something by Shirley Bassey

She sings it well but it leaves me cold
  • Visit poster's website