Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2017 09:01
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I like me some great melodies in hip hop as much as anybody, but maybe that's not the point of the genre? Or of techno for that matter (which I admit I'm not a huge fan of but I've really been digging The Field lately). Like I mentioned in another post, my love for hip hop started to grow when I stopped looking for the same things I looked for in rock music. The point of having different genres is so that you can hear different sounds when you're in different moods. When I want nice melodies, I listen to rock or R&B. When I want in your face attitude, clever wordplay, sick flows, or hypnotizing beats, I go for hip hop.

Sorry, I didn't realize till now you were quoting/addressing me.

I thought I was making this same point you are making.

I agree.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2017 09:09
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I figure I should add this as background. In my life, I was exposed to hip hop at a pretty young age from a source that midwestern mostly white kids didn't usually experience. My mother, in her 50's now, still listens to and loves the hip hop of her era. Whodini, Grand Master Flash, Kurtis Blow and the like. So, hip hop in and of itself was never a problem. She didn't much care for the stuff with ribald lyrics, but she never detested it.

That's pretty cool. My dad's closest thing to hip-hop was probably the funk of Sly and the Family Stone, and while maybe you think that's not anywhere close, I feel like some of the energy is the same in funk as it is in rap.

My love for hip-hop/rap came from MTV of the 90s. Coolio, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Warren G, NWA, Ice Cube, and I guess Beastie Boys. Then it went to OutKast and few others.

The rest of my family detested it, along with country music. But I grew to really like it. Hearing hip-hop artists go from super simple and almost archaic sample sounds and lyrics to some of the most creative sounds/lyrics ever... well damn. It's been a trip. Hip-hop/rap imo has aged way better than most modern music forms.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/05/2017 09:41
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I feel like some of the energy is the same in funk as it is in rap.

I was thinking about this today. I was reading about James Brown, and how in his development he began with songs, but by the 60's had abandoned traditional song structures and basically invented funk, where groove was everything.

So, not only has James Brown been sampled to death for the sake of hip-hop, he may be the originator of an aesthetic where melody is no longer first and foremost. Perhaps James Brown is the gateway drug to getting into rap music?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2017 19:27
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I was thinking about this today. I was reading about James Brown, and how in his development he began with songs, but by the 60's had abandoned traditional song structures and basically invented funk, where groove was everything.

So, not only has James Brown been sampled to death for the sake of hip-hop, he may be the originator of an aesthetic where melody is no longer first and foremost. Perhaps James Brown is the gateway drug to getting into rap music?

If you already like James Brown, then probably not. But if you really only listen to, for lack of better way to say it, white people music, then yes. Get into funk/soul music. Then again, I'm sure some would just listen to hip/hop and feel that same energy right away and just go with it.

I suppose a better question is what is it you object to? I think you mentioned harsh language as a hurdle. Sometimes, to be honest, that's what I love about rap music. They don't mince words at all. I can't remember who said it, but when I first heard Kendrick I felt like he talked about how big his dick was too much. I was actually really turned off by this dick ain't free. But then I realized it was talking about the exploitation of black men... whether from black women or just in general. The free jazz turned me off too, and then realized how genius it was.

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes it turns me off and then I realize what it really is saying and I get over it.

Are you saying you don't watch any rated R movies because of the content? I feel Tarantino films often turn me off because they are foul just to be in your face sometimes... like know real human reason like say a war movie or something, and that's a turn off for me. But if it is real... well then let life be truly represented.
  • Visit poster's website