Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/22/2017 18:42
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking of a different C-word to describe it, actually.

Conventional? Wink

Circumspect perhaps.

Upon review, gotta double down on my statement that The Seventh Seal at #1 is pretty cool.

Last edited by Hayden on 12/22/2017 19:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/22/2017 19:21
  • Post subject:
^^^Seventh Seal was #1 by a lot

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 12/23/2017 15:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/23/2017 03:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Upon review, gotta double down on my statement that The Seventh Seal at #1 is pretty cool.

Considering it was #54 on our top 250 that wouldn't be so surprising if not for the fact that It's a Wonderful Life was #7 so I suppose it was a slight upset. Truthfully just looking at our past lists I was expecting Spirited Away to be #1 for some reason. Thrilled my list likely helped squeeze Army of Darkness and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs into the bottom but curious what two films they dumped out. And I don't believe I've seen The Fall (2006).

As for the sci-fi list, it's badass. I can't really argue with anything being on there. For my personal taste I'd have liked a little more 50s sci-fi. Most shocking is that neither Invasion of the Body Snatchers film (1956/1978) made the list as they're both amazing films in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/23/2017 10:12
  • Post subject:
Like I said, I had a hard time putting certain films (I voided all animation or Wizards and a few others would've made it) on the list. I love It's a Wonderful Life, but it doesn't "click" with me as a fantasy film even though I am more than well-read enough to know what low fantasy entails.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/23/2017 16:43
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Truthfully just looking at our past lists I was expecting Spirited Away to be #1 for some reason. Thrilled my list likely helped squeeze Army of Darkness and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs into the bottom but curious what two films they dumped out. And I don't believe I've seen The Fall (2006).

Same here about Spirited Away. Made the Top 10 Overall, but couldn't crack the Top 10 of its own genre. Seems odd, but depends on who's participating. And yeah your list got Army of Darkness of Snow White on there. A handful of points was all the difference. Check out The Fall.

badseed wrote:
As for the sci-fi list, it's badass. I can't really argue with anything being on there. For my personal taste I'd have liked a little more 50s sci-fi. Most shocking is that neither Invasion of the Body Snatchers film (1956/1978) made the list as they're both amazing films in my opinion.

The 50s Body Snatchers missed by 5 points. The lack of 50s Sci-Fi is unfortunate but understandable. For one, classics don't get much love on these polls. Two, so many 50s sci-fi flicks are dated, and cheesy even by contemporary standards. Attack of the Crab Monsters anyone? However, there are a few gems from that decade, which I enjoy digging to find.

Gowi wrote:
Like I said, I had a hard time putting certain films (I voided all animation or Wizards and a few others would've made it) on the list. I love It's a Wonderful Life, but it doesn't "click" with me as a fantasy film even though I am more than well-read enough to know what low fantasy entails.

I understand that. High fantasy is a purer form of the genre imo. Thus I gave it more consideration on my personal list. For example, It's a Wonderful Life and Narnia. One is outstanding, the other is solid but nothing to write home about. But one is High Fantasy and the other is Low Fantasy, so they ended up next to each other in the middle of my personal list.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/27/2017 19:12
  • Post subject:
Both lists are now on BEA's Letterboxd Smile

https://letterboxd.com/BestEverFilms/lists/