Orson Welles/Third Man??

View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2017 11:54
  • Post subject: Orson Welles/Third Man??
I first saw the movie The Third Man when I was kind of young and I always assumed it was directed by Orson Welles because of the way it looked. I thought it looked like Citizen Kane and since Orson Welles was in it I thought he was the director. Until I found out otherwise. But I still like it better than Citizen Kane and I think it's Orson Welles best acting job. I think he's awesome in it.

So the question is; what do you think is the best Orson Welles movie as far as his acting goes? It could be either a movie that he directed or a movie that he didn't Direct.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/03/2017 15:40
  • Post subject:
Citizen Kane, which might also be the greatest performance in film history. In every scene he is a different character, a seamless chaos of personalities.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2017 16:23
  • Post subject:
I prefer the sweaty mumble-mouthed Hank Quinlan in Touch Of Evil. Especially the strangulation scene.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/03/2017 17:09
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I prefer the sweaty mumble-mouthed Hank Quinlan in Touch Of Evil. Especially the strangulation scene.

Yes, masterful, another extraordinary performance. Also, the whole finale, from Quinlan's last fortune with Tanya, to Vargas and Menzies recording him and its climax in the outskirts of town.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2018 09:44
  • Post subject: Re: Orson Welles/Third Man??
bobbyb5 wrote:
I first saw the movie The Third Man when I was kind of young and I always assumed it was directed by Orson Welles because of the way it looked. I thought it looked like Citizen Kane and since Orson Welles was in it I thought he was the director. Until I found out otherwise.

There's a popular misconception that Welles effectively co-directed the film, or directed the scenes he was in -- the use of shadow and light in the sewer chase scenes no doubt contributed to that. Also I can see the appeal of believing that he directed the great Ferris Wheel scene: he did come up with the "cuckoo clock" speech on set. I wonder, once he was cast, how much his towering reputation nudged Carol Reed to shoot it in a more Wellesian style.
  • Visit poster's website