Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2018 20:48
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Different Drum is definitely a stone classic. I need to make room for it in my Top 100 or 200. Definitely one of the great singles of all time. Written by Mike Nesmith of the Monkees too!! Petula Clark had a handful of classic singles also. She's awesome.

Interestingly, I picked up Petula's Greatest Hits for the usual, more famous singles (Downtown, Don't Sleep in the Subway). As far as I know, that was the first time I'd ever heard "Who am I" and I was instantly captivated. What a voice!

Ditto the Dusty song. I picked up her greatest hits for other reasons, but Mama's Little Girl, which I had never heard, became my fave.

Different Drum is an interesting case. Linda's interpretation is so wonderful, I was surprised to find out Nesmith wrote it. Some of the lyrics do make sense from a male perspective. But it made perfect sense to me coming from a woman as when I was growing up, I was a bit on the square side, and I tended to fall for more free spirited girls. I was on the receiving end of that message a few times.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2018 21:03
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Different Drum is definitely a stone classic. I need to make room for it in my Top 100 or 200. Definitely one of the great singles of all time. Written by Mike Nesmith of the Monkees too!! Petula Clark had a handful of classic singles also. She's awesome.

Interestingly, I picked up Petula's Greatest Hits for the usual, more famous singles (Downtown, Don't Sleep in the Subway). As far as I know, that was the first time I'd ever heard "Who am I" and I was instantly captivated. What a voice!

Ditto the Dusty song. I picked up her greatest hits for other reasons, but Mama's Little Girl, which I had never heard, became my fave.

Different Drum is an interesting case. Linda's interpretation is so wonderful, I was surprised to find out Nesmith wrote it. Some of the lyrics do make sense from a male perspective. But it made perfect sense to me coming from a woman as when I was growing up, I was a bit on the square side, and I tended to fall for more free spirited girls. I was on the receiving end of that message a few times.

Also Long Long Time by Linda Ronstadt is another classic hit single. I think it was the same year as Different Drum. Nothing she did after that was as great as those two songs. When she was a big huge star in the 70s I didn't think much of her, but those two songs are a different story.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2018 21:37
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Also Long Long Time by Linda Ronstadt is another classic hit single. I think it was the same year as Different Drum. Nothing she did after that was as great as those two songs. When she was a big huge star in the 70s I didn't think much of her, but those two songs are a different story.

A couple more goodies from that era:

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 01/31/2018 23:04
  • Post subject:
To me, some of the best cover performances are those that are sadly never placed on an album. Go here to check out my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys sing "I'll Put Angels Around You" which was done first by the act named Dr. Hook.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 00:25
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I think I covered all of my bases there.

haha - awesome.
  • Visit poster's website
Magcelick

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
These are some my favorites:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/02/2018 01:39
  • Post subject:
I had already seen Bobby's Favourite Singles chart a while ago and asked him if I could borrow the idea, okay copy him.

He said, very generously, that he didn't invent the idea, but I first saw it on his page. So I went ahead and stole the idea off him.

Here are my two top 100 Fave Song Charts:

My Favourite 100 songs and Albums They ...y Stover75

My Next 100 Favourite Songs 101-200 by Stover75

I keep changing it a little but the core songs stay the same. It's like someone said, there are tonnes of good songs. Its hard to narrow it down. I chose songs which made a big impact on me at key moments in my life. There may be other songs I also love but these ones had a big impact on me.

Thanks for the idea Bobby!!
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/02/2018 01:52
  • Post subject:
Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15246

Far from updated as songs/tracks/movements are often more difficult to definitively rate than albums (imo)... Every time I look at this list I want to make upgrades/downgrades, so I tend to only tackle it in spurts otherwise I would go crazy Laughing
  • Visit poster's website