Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2018 08:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I just watched "Brigsby Bear" and "Lucky" the other day. I would recommend both if you have not caught them.

Quote:
Nice. I'll look into them. Haven't even heard of Brigsby Bear. I gather it's a western too?

Not... really... Think BUT, it's brilliant, and it'll definitely be on my 2017 list. Same with Lucky. Good picks ChiefRocka.

Badseed, if you're going to watch Brigsby, don't know anything going into it. Just hit play.

Also, I use Google Sheets, which makes everything uber fast. Couldn't even imagine doing it all by hand, that's insane. Shocked Hope nobody changed their lists last minute.

For some reason I thought Lucky was something else. I suppose it isn't a western either but it appears to star the late great Harry Dean Stanton in a cowboy hat.

If anyone changed their list they didn't mention it to me, master. Before I told everyone to let me know about any further updates towards the end I re-checked every post's last edited date. I even used an erasable pen through the first twelve lists in case of any changes. I had to subtract five points from everything on a particular list when I started at 50 and worked my way to the bottom to find out it was only a 45. Look at the sample page I uploaded, pick an actor and go back and check his positions; every point should be properly accounted for.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 06:40
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
or no Anthony Mann films... To bring it full circle back to the actors list, James Stewart was in FIVE tense, gripping westerns directed by Anthony Mann.

An Anthony Mann Western would likely be #1 on my list, but Stewart's not in it (I'm sure badseed can guess which one it is!).
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2018 08:15
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
An Anthony Mann Western would likely be #1 on my list, but Stewart's not in it (I'm sure badseed can guess which one it is!).

There's two more I've seen. Man of the West and The Tin Star. Both are excellent and it's exciting that you'd pick either as your favorite. To be honest all seven will likely make my final cut, so Mann will be pretty competitive with Ford regarding who has the most movies... I'm probably gonna have like 20 spaghetti westerns on my list as well, including at least three in my top ten. Not sure what's gonna be #1 but it probably comes down to Ford vs. Leone vs. Peckinpah.

While I initially shunned the idea of a Best Songs list I just thought of the fact that it would be a brilliant idea if done by artist. I don't think that's been done before. I think there's the "Let's Rank" series for albums but not songs. We could do the similar thing where the next artist we do is chosen in a poll. Of course there aren't many artists here that everyone listens to but we could try our best with some of the more obvious names at first and gradually move onto more unique acts. I don't know if we should go with a set amount for the series (top 40 songs?) or let the list size be dependent on how many songs they have (I could easily see us doing top 100 Beatles/Dylan/Marley/Waits/Cave/Stones and it being a blast but obviously if we did that with Radiohead or Led Zeppelin it's practically their entire catalogue).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2018 23:47
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
There's two more I've seen. Man of the West and The Tin Star. Both are excellent and it's exciting that you'd pick either as your favorite. To be honest all seven will likely make my final cut

It's Man of the West.

Quote:
While I initially shunned the idea of a Best Songs list I just thought of the fact that it would be a brilliant idea if done by artist. I don't think that's been done before. I think there's the "Let's Rank" series for albums but not songs. We could do the similar thing where the next artist we do is chosen in a poll. Of course there aren't many artists here that everyone listens to but we could try our best with some of the more obvious names at first and gradually move onto more unique acts. I don't know if we should go with a set amount for the series (top 40 songs?) or let the list size be dependent on how many songs they have (I could easily see us doing top 100 Beatles/Dylan/Marley/Waits/Cave/Stones and it being a blast but obviously if we did that with Radiohead or Led Zeppelin it's practically their entire catalogue).

Given how many film lists have been done on a music site, I'm really surprised a song one hasn't been done yet. Given an all-time film list's been done, it'd be too bad, on a music site (albeit an album one), if something fairly big in scope couldn't be done. An all-time song list without any restrictions obviously would be a huge amount of work, though I'm not convinced it would be completely scattered -- the all-time film list must've had some of those issues. What about song lists by genre? A rock one, of course, would be the most work, but would eliminate songs from less well-known genres. Or we could do a classic rock one (we'd have to settle on a cutoff year) and then another one for rock since that cutoff year. Rap, R&B and jazz lists would be manageable (I'd consider hosting a jazz one myself). Another idea is an all-time song list restricted to only songs released as singles.

I'm less interested in artist lists. I'd participate in a Beatles or Stones one, but not in most of the others. Neil Young and Zappa have large catalogs too.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2018 05:30
  • Post subject:
I think someone recently tried to start a best songs of the 2010s poll going and then nothing ever happened.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2018 07:32
  • Post subject:
The reason I think songs would be WAY more different than movies is because it's SONGS. Not albums. Songs are to albums what scenes are to movies. For every good album you've got an average of ten good songs. Same goes for movies/scenes. Something like Revolver, or conversely The Godfather, might be under-represented just because there are so many perfect songs (or scenes) that there's just way more to choose from overall and if people tried to stick to one song per album or artist then it's just gonna be a wreck. I just feel like there are only gonna be a couple songs that get on more than one list because the scope is so huge... If nobody could come up with a decent "top songs of the 2010s" list (I know I couldn't), who's gonna be able to make a best songs ever list?

As far as doing genres and what not, music genres are so subjective. Just doesn't appeal to me personally (though for some reason, stuff that isn't lyrics based like classical, jazz and electronic sound more fun to do than rock or rap or whatever) but we all seem to have a different idea as to what is and isn't a good idea so if you wanna try it, have at it.

I still really like the best songs per artist idea personally. Of course not everyone is gonna want to participate in every one. I'd only be interested in doing artists from whom I've listened to almost everything so most rap and jazz artists would be a no-go for me. I was thinking if I start these up I might even PM some users who aren't forum regulars who appear to be big fans of whichever artist we're doing, mainly because the forums are a quirky bunch with too big a diversity in taste. Half y'all don't even like the Beatles, and probably only a couple people have listened to most of Nick Cave's stuff (and y'all know damn well we're doing the Bad Seeds early on if I follow through with this), so it would help to get more lists in if I'm able to bring in some outside sources.

Perhaps we should all branch out and do our own unique series. As long as we spread it out we'll never run out of lists to make.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2018 23:40
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
The reason I think songs would be WAY more different than movies is because it's SONGS. Not albums. Songs are to albums what scenes are to movies. Same goes for movies/scenes. Something like Revolver, or conversely The Godfather, might be under-represented just because there are so many perfect songs (or scenes) that there's just way more to choose from overall and if people tried to stick to one song per album or artist then it's just gonna be a wreck.I just feel like there are only gonna be a couple songs that get on more than one list because the scope is so huge...

I get that the movies and songs are not exactly comparable. But the average movie has more like 50 scenes, so they're not exactly comparable either. The problem is what led me to the idea of only including songs that were singles.
Quote:
For every good album you've got an average of ten good songs.

Even among the most highly ranked albums, there are only a handful where every song is considered good. Even on Sgt. Pepper there are a few songs people are unlikely to vote for. The most popular songs from the most popular albums on BEA would do very well.

hereforashortime wrote:
I think someone recently tried to start a best songs of the 2010s poll going and then nothing ever happened.

Did the person who said he'd take it on never follow through, or was it another problem?
Quote:
If nobody could come up with a decent "top songs of the 2010s" list (I know I couldn't), who's gonna be able to make a best songs ever list?

Why couldn't you come up with a top songs of the 2010s list?
Quote:
As far as doing genres and what not, music genres are so subjective. Just doesn't appeal to me personally (though for some reason, stuff that isn't lyrics based like classical, jazz and electronic sound more fun to do than rock or rap or whatever

I think movie genres are just as subjective. What's a comedy is subjective. For that list, were there restrictions, or was it, if you vote for it, then it qualifies? What's a thriller is subjective. You run into that issue even with the more-easily-defined genres.
Quote:
but we all seem to have a different idea as to what is and isn't a good idea so if you wanna try it, have at it.
Perhaps we should all branch out and do our own unique series. As long as we spread it out we'll never run out of lists to make.

Yeah, it comes down to is whether someone's willing to host a list. And it's not like this forum has too many active threads. Since I've never hosted a list, don't think I'm going to start with all-time songs, but would consider doing a genre list down the road. I was thinking of maybe doing a jazz album list at some point.
Quote:
I still really like the best songs per artist idea personally.

It's a good idea in of itself. I know a movie forum that's done individual directors.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 02:05
  • Post subject:
Why can't I do a top songs of the 2010s list? Too much to choose from. Too hard to compare. I wouldn't know where to start. I guess I'd start with my top 100 albums but then I'd wind up with 400 songs and I'd have tons of good songs that came off albums I don't like or haven't heard, of which I would have a difficult time trying to remember because I'm so much of an album guy. I might give it a try but would still feel it's rather pointless because more than half of my selections probably wouldn't make anyone else's list.

I'm pretty sure we've done something here with directors too if I'm not mistaken. I remember a ranked list of Coen Brothers films being compiled and I thought it was here. Been a while.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2018 09:23
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Why can't I do a top songs of the 2010s list? Too much to choose from. Too hard to compare. I wouldn't know where to start.

I have the opposite problem. I can't even fill a 100 album chart for the 2010s. The 1950s were easier for me. It is harder to start and compare when you've given albums a lot more thought than songs. I have a pretty good idea what most of my favorite overall songs are; ranking them and culling them down to 50 or 100 would be the hardest part for me.

Forgot there's a Top-Rated Songs sort on this site. Pretty boring list -- practically all from the the top 100 albums on the overall chart.
  • Visit poster's website