View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 01:35
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I cannot find any source proving the UK version came first. Can somebody? All I find is that it was released March 17, 1986. So if the US and UK versions came out the same day, then what?

Also, I cannot find any source that says what the band's creative intent was. Did Depeche Mode want Black Celebration to end on New Dress or But Not Tonight? I think that's what should matter.

Lastly, how hard would it be to list both track listings on BEA? Or list But Not Tonight as Track #12, but label it with an asterisk saying 'US release only'?

This is not the only release on BEA where this issue arises, and the way of dealing with this properly would be to have multiple versions of each release listed on BEA, but unfortunately that's not something that BEA is set up for at the moment. BEA only lists the original version of each album as there needs to be a consistent way of doing things across the site. This makes the site a lot easier to understand and administer, and helps prevent edit wars on the individual admin pages (which are no good for anybody).

It's not as easy as appending a note saying US release only. You also have tracks (on other albums) which might *not* appear on certain versions of an album and to be consistent you'd have to annotate those as well. In addition, you also have French, German, UK, Japanese, Canadian, Brazilian, Spanish, Italian, Australian etc releases and the track lists would quickly become a mess if we annotated each track with the specific countries that it was released in.

Agreed.

It's a messy world. It's fine... I've seen people rate the album according to what they have it as. Nothing is perfect.

I mean even bands have entire catalogs that were released differently pending on the country they were in... it's just a mess of the music industry we have to deal with, not a fault of BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 01:39
  • Post subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cel...ck_listing

Wikipedia typically is a decent source on all the track listing craziness.

If you expand the section "US LP, CD and cassette bonus track" - you'll see it was a US only track listing.

Seeing that the band is indeed from the UK - it makes sense the original release doesn't have it.

Furthermore, it looks like it was released as a single regardless, and sometimes record companies are dumb like that, and release a single that isn't on the album... probably so they can indicate they sold more units so people buy the album and the single...
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2018 15:04
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cel...ck_listing

Wikipedia typically is a decent source on all the track listing craziness.

If you expand the section "US LP, CD and cassette bonus track" - you'll see it was a US only track listing.

Furthermore, it looks like it was released as a single regardless, and sometimes record companies are dumb like that, and release a single that isn't on the album... probably so they can indicate they sold more units so people buy the album and the single...

Oh yeah Wikipedia is great for that sort of thing. That was the first place I looked while researching the US and UK release dates.

Anyway, I was unable to find anything on the web. All I found was March 17, 1986. Thus, unless someone can provide proof the UK version was released first, then how do we know for sure it was? Maybe the US version came out a week earlier and thus BEA's tracklisting is inaccurate?

Again, that technicality isn't the big issue. Listing both tracklists would resolve it.

And this song is great. Listen to it if you haven't heard it:

Link

Yann

France

• Posted: 04/05/2018 16:58
  • Post subject:
it's just a very good b-side, transformed to a non-album single in the US because it featured in a movie. And then added to the US tracklist.
The official tracklist is the UK one (the 2007 reissue being a strong hint)
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/05/2018 18:57
  • Post subject:
I'm a big fan of this album but never heard of that track. Guess I should listen. Spotify have the deluxe issue of this and it looks like this track is part of the extras (b-sides, live cuts). It doesn't come straight after New Dress though. I have a US version of Inspiral Carpets "Life" (also on Mute) and that has some different versions, extra stuff that were singles/eps and omits one track. Must be loads of albums like this.
  • Visit poster's website