View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 00:49
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
One thing I wonder about - how does this album dominate all others? Like it's not even a close/neck and neck competition with other "great" albums, where one week it's vying for 1st after it got bumped to 2nd or whatever.

True on this site and true on RYM - large database of users all come to a similar conclusion... That has weight to it, whether you agree or not.

But why?

Yes, this is an interesting thing. I'd go with the fact that this album, arguably more than any other, combines a big helping of emotional release (catharsis) with music that is consistently melodically pleasing. I think this is rarely achieved so well (though it has been much imitated, of course). And these are two things that most music fans really love. Plus, you get quite a lot of memorable lyrical nuggets on this album, but I think that this is probably a lesser factor.

Likely as good as any other explanation.

Still pretty curious, with no real definitive answer, I'm sure. If your answer (which is a good one) is true, I suppose that'd mean that Radiohead really spoke to a lot of people on that level.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:05
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Therein lies a difference in the purpose of art or music. This reflection of negativity may have its place, but the highest calling of art is to inspire; to show what humanity is capable of, not just wallow in our weaknesses and give voice to helplessness (which is actually kind of an oxymoron if you think about it).

i absolutely disagree with everything you're saying about the function of art. first of all, humanity is capable of shit. a person can do great things, but humanity as a whole is not so inspiring. art is a communication tool, and how that voice is used is entirely up to the author.

but even if i were to join you in this grandiose sense of purpose in art, you're missing the point of this album. you're ignoring the voice of defiance that this record is rooted in. this is not an album that gives voice to helplessness so much as stands beside the helpless, giving the helpless a voice, er, giving the helpless help. sometimes catharsis gets people through their darkest hours. and yes, the worldview is bleak, but the protagonist is determined to fight against that hopelessness, regardless. thom croons, "one day, i am gonna grow wings". no surprises pleas for this purgatory existence to end its torment. fitter, happier is about making healthier decisions in life. hell, this album kicks off with a song about how an airbag saves my friggin life! the album is only so bleak as you empower it to be. i see this album as an acceptance of the chaos in the world without any resignation to conform to it. the world is shit. you don't have to be. that's how i see this record.

i mean, if you lived under mao dictatorship, singing about the greatness of mankind and reaching for the stars would be destructive, naive and dare i say propagandist. sometimes, reality isn't all that, and we find ways to live in the best ways we can.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 01:18
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
i absolutely disagree with everything you're saying about the function of art. first of all, humanity is capable of shit. a person can do great things, but humanity as a whole is not so inspiring. art is a communication tool, and how that voice is used is entirely up to the author.

but even if i were to join you in this grandiose sense of purpose in art, you're missing the point of this album. you're ignoring the voice of defiance that this record is rooted in. this is not an album that gives voice to helplessness so much as stands beside the helpless, giving the helpless a voice, er, giving the helpless help. sometimes catharsis gets people through their darkest hours. and yes, the worldview is bleak, but the protagonist is determined to fight against that hopelessness, regardless. thom croons, "one day, i am gonna grow wings". no surprises pleas for this purgatory existence to end its torment. fitter, happier is about making healthier decisions in life. hell, this album kicks off with a song about how an airbag saves my friggin life! the album is only so bleak as you empower it to be. i see this album as an acceptance of the chaos in the world without any resignation to conform to it. the world is shit. you don't have to be. that's how i see this record.

i mean, if you lived under mao dictatorship, singing about the greatness of mankind and reaching for the stars would be destructive, naive and dare i say propagandist. sometimes, reality isn't all that, and we find ways to live in the best ways we can.

It's not about painting a rosy picture in defiance of a less than rosy reality, it's about pointing to the better possibility... and we are capable of that even if we don't often do that. Simply accepting doesn't do shit to make it better. It only allows the shit to perpetuate. If the world is shit, then we should change it. Anything that inspired us to do so is better than anything that doesn't. That's the opposite of propaganda.

I understand the point of catharsis, although catharsis will always remain secondary to overcoming.

I'll buy into your interpretation up to a point. This album certainly isn't as bleak as the aforementioned Fear of a Blank Planet, a true Debbie Downer of the highest degree (but still a pretty good album).
  • Visit poster's website